Keep on going way over my sugar goal..Help?

Options
I keep on going quite a bit over my sugar goal. The past two days my eating was a little bad. But I'm back to eating really good today, and I continue to go over my sugar goal when I'm still alright in everything else. I've replaced sugar with Splenda, but I guess I'm just not good at staying away from sugary foods. What makes it worse is that I am supposed to stay away from sugar due to bladder problems. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I can't imagine that consuming so much sugar can be healthy for me over a long period of time.

Replies

• DebbieDee3
    Options
    I am way over on sugar too! Does it matter if the sugar is coming from fruit and skim milk instead of added sugar? It seems impossible to stay within the limits if all sugar is included. Yikes!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am over sugar too, and it is coming from eating fruit and vegetables. So I do not know what to do, I refuse to cut out apples, carrots and strawberries, and my once per day skinny cow chocolate truffle bar.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit has a higher sugar content than fresh because it becomes more concentrated. Also, on your Apple Juice, cut it half and half with water. Since you had cranberries in your cereal, opt for an orange or apple or something later instead of more dried fruit. You are getting your sugar from natural sources, so not too concerning, but you can cut it with just a few changes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary. Telepathy, those craisins have to go! And think twice about fruit juice as well.

I know these things have the reputation of being healthy foods, but they really are super high in sugar.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I always go over on my sugar. Majority of it is from fresh fruit so I don't worry about it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    To give you an idea on sugar - 1 Tbsp of dried cranberries is 30g of sugar. 1/2 Cup of fresh cranberries is 33g of sugar. Most people will eat about 1/4 cup of cranberries, which is close to 5 Tbsp, so that is 150 calories for half the serving size. Granted it is "more" cranberries, but the fresh is just as filling
  • telepathy1994
    telepathy1994 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well thank you for the tips. It's convenient that I finished my bag of craisins today. I'll stay away from dried fruit from now on, and have fresh instead. And dilute my fruit juice with water if I decide to have a glass.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar, but 95% of it is from fruits, and I'm not giving up fruit! My personal belief is that if the sugar is natural and in moderation, you're ok. If it's processed sugar or sugar from drinks, probably not ok. Fruit lovers unite! lol
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do not drink fruit juice nor do I eat dried fruit. I eat as fresh and organic as possible. But as the other poster just said, mine comes from fresh fruit so I am not going to worry about it.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree about the dried fruit. It's very very sugary. Fresh is best. :)
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The juice! Try swapping for crystal light packets of the same flavor.