Food Inc

Options
I started watching this movie today and watched about half. I plan on watching the rest this evening. For those who have watched it: What did you get out of the movie? There is so much information in there and I'm sure I'm not picking up on all of it! And second, how did it change the way you eat.

Replies

• aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I watched it, it really made me more aware of buying local food when possible. That's not something I had given much thought to before watching the movine.
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have heard of it but never seen it. Is it one of those movies where they talk about animal slaughter and will make me cry :(?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    We definitely try to buy local since watching this and try to find out what's in our food that we DO buy...no matter where it's from. I'm making a transition away from processed foods (anything designed to last a long time on the shelf, anything that didn't grow from the ground or have a mother (Ex: fruits, veggies, dairy, grains) and I'm also more aware of hormones, pesticides etc.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Most documentaries are quite slanted. I would invite you to research criticisms of the film too.
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Forks over Knives. Its a real eye opener.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Most documentaries are quite slanted. I would invite you to research criticisms of the film too.

All documentaries are slanted. It's what I call "creative journalism" (emphasising just one side of an argument to suit the agenda of the documentary maker).
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, and have been aware of the factory farming/meat issues, but one new thing I learned from the movie were the fact that almost ALL (91% I believe) of soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified! As a result, I have cut down my intake of soy products. It was very eye opening to see what the huge company (Monsanto I think?) did to smaller farmers with the issue of saving seeds/cross pollination/etc. I have been, and continue to be, interested in supporting local food producers and buying local/organic when possible. I also focus on eating seasonally.

It's been a while since I watched the movie, I should probably see it again.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

All documentaries are slanted. It's what I call "creative journalism" (emphasising just one side of an argument to suit the agenda of the documentary maker).

NO...not ALL are slanted. good grief
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, and have been aware of the factory farming/meat issues, but one new thing I learned from the movie were the fact that almost ALL (91% I believe) of soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified!
    Gregor Mendel started "genetically modifying" peas back in the 1850's, and plant hybridization has been crucial to keeping farming effective ever since.
  • newarkco05
    Options

Do you have a criticism of the movie you would like to share??
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Do you have a criticism of the movie you would like to share??
    I'll let you Google the criticism. :flowerforyou:

It's always valuable to check both sides of every story before drawing conclusions.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I finished watching the movie. My fiance watched the last hour with me and we are definitely going to start trying to be more aware of where our food it coming from and the change that can be made by eating healthier.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, and have been aware of the factory farming/meat issues, but one new thing I learned from the movie were the fact that almost ALL (91% I believe) of soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified!
    Gregor Mendel started "genetically modifying" peas back in the 1850's, and plant hybridization has been crucial to keeping farming effective ever since.
    That response seemed a little snarky... did you watch the movie? It discusses the Roundup-ready soybeans by Monsanto and the lengths to which the company will go in order to protect their "intellectual property" by taking down small farmers. When "keeping farming effective" means relying on monocrops instead of biodiversity, and factory farms rather than family/small scale farms, it isn't helping the planet or our health. Just my opinion.