P90X Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I have done P90x many times.

My Timex always overestimated my cal burn about 200 cal higher then my Polar.

With my Polar, I get about 350-400 cal per workout - using ankle and wrist weights on all cardio, and ab work, heavy weights on all others. :) I am short, and close to my goal weight. Push hard on all DVDs. So that would be a more accurate range for me.

Men will burn more, your size, fitness level, bodyfat level etc will all alter your personal burn rate.

Workout drinks - I personally prefer a protein Shake that gives me about 20-24 grams of protein per scoop, at 150-200 calories. I like Optimal Nutrition 100% Whey Gold, BSN Dessert Lean, or the BSN Syntha 6 when I need more calories. All give a good high range of protein, some added BCAAs, and price out pretty reasonably.

I also take a mutivatamin twice a day. to meet vitamin, and some of my antioxidant needs.

Chocolate Milk, Special K, Slim fast can be used - but they give you MUCH less protein grams - 6-8 per cup. So you are getting the same calories, less protein. So check the protein levels on your product, Depending on your personal goals, that may not be the best bang for your buck.

I find when I do P90X I get the best fat loss, best inch loss, least amount of muscle soreness, and best overall results when my protein is at least about 90-100 grams per day. You should aim for roughly 1 gram per pound of "lean" body mass.

A nice pre workout drink, or to add to your water While working out is Xtend, I like Green Apple, or watermelon. Gives some BCAA (branch chain amino acids) which are protein building blocks needed by your body to help repair stressed muscle, and I find it helps with muscle soreness prevention. Option , but nice if you like the though of a product you can add to your water to help while your workout, and after. Especially good option if you workout on an empty stomach.

If you eat swome protein before working out, this is probably unneeded

Available from many sources online, so you can price shop. Bodybuilding.com, amazon.com, vitacost.com, supplimentwarehouse.com are all places to check.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Anyone have opinions on P90x vx. Insanity for someone wanting to lose weight and tone? Just curious!!
  • tangal88
    Options
    the way I log - click on MY EXERCISES - then CREATE EXERCISE - name it whatever you want, like P90X Chest and Shoulders. I just doo all as Cardio, for simplicity reasons.

Add in your readings from your HMR.

MFP will save the entry, so just create one for each exercise, and when you log in, just update your calorie burn for that day, when you add the new exercise.
  • tangal88
    Options
    Insanity is mainly cardio only - so if you also want some resistance training, Insanity alone is not the best option. Though many do combine it with P90x, but that would be for a more advanced exerciser.

P90X will give you a more well rounded program with strength/resistance/muscle building, what most think of as "toning", and some cardio. Though depending on your personal fitness goals, you may prefer additional cardio - such as the Doubles program, or extra cardio on your own.

For metabolism boosting, long term fat burning, higher calorie burn throughout the entire day, tightening muscle, maintaining lean muscle - a combo or resistance training with cardio is usually the better option.

Cardio only will help your lose weight in the shorterm, but you also often lose some lean muscle, and you are not able to tighten muscle (jiggles) all over the body. It will improve your endurance, and cardio health. It does not provide as much longterm extended calorie burn through the entire day, as resistance/strength training does.

I personally have the best fat, and inch loss with a combo of both.
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that people burn calories at different rates. A person who is out of shape, will burn calories faster than somebody who is in shape.