PERIOD HELP -- LADIES ONLY!!!!!

Options

Replies

• amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have any issues bathing her. I advice if you aren't gonna breed her, get her fixed. You don't need to put down a dog who is just having her heat session. That would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of doing! Getting her fixed will save your carpets/clothes/furniture from getting ruined.

I don't know what you could do about drying. We have towels set aside specifically for the dogs bathes and they go in the washing machine right after use. Blood is easy to get out if its fresh.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Unless she is a breeding dog, you should get her fixed. There are so many dogs out there that need good homes and why risk her getting pregnant if she got out somehow? For now, give her baths and maybe the diaper thing.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My Mum used to just bathe her but she had her own towel and it was washed after every use.

As someone else said, we bathe when we are having a period, same principal, and Dogs are less likely to pounce on her as the 'odour' will not be as strong so some won't necessarily smell her.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to bathe her & use an old towel or designate it "her" towel. I am a man but trained dogs for four years lol PS The doggy daipers are also a viable idea, although the dog can look ridiculous, unless you plan to breed I would have her spayed.

The other answers were funny though lmao :)

Russ
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    when my dog was in heat, before she had puppies and we got her fixed, we put her in a doggie diaper! if you don't they learn to drag themselves across the carpet and floor and rub it all over the place...

24qtpoi.jpg
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Get her fixed.
    Scheduled for the 18th, actually.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    They have diapers for dogs. You should check with the Pet stores or vets....
    We're using diapers, but can I bathe her?!
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Time to put her down....she had a good run!
    She's only like 15 months old! :cry:

THIS IS WHY I PUT "LADIES ONLY"!!! :angry:

For the love of God do NOT take that person seriously and put your dog down!
    No put your dog down!! Why would you carry it when it's bleeding all over you.

Oh please. Their cycle isn't even that bad. It's not like their period is super heavy.
  • bluetiger
    bluetiger Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Certified Veterinary Technician here

You can definitely bathe her while she is in heat (which is what it is called). When she is bleeding, that is her pre-heat. She will be in full heat for about a week after she stops bleeding, so keep her away from males unless you plan on breeding her, which I recommend for you not to do at her age. She is a little young for that. If you do plan on breeding her, remember that it is a BIG responsibility and can be quite expensive and you have to feed her puppy food for the duration of her pregnancy. Also make sure that she doesn't get pregnant by a much larger dog, or there's a c-section in you future ($800-1000, depending on your location).

I HIGHLY recommend that you have her spayed, it is going to be better for her in the long run. The more heat cycles she has, the greater the chances of her getting mammary cancer later in life. Trust me, I've seen so many dogs have to have an entire mammary chain removal which isn't pretty (think about removing every nipple on one side of her body). Plus there is the chance that she can get pyometra, which is an infection in the uterus that can be life threatening and need an emergency ovariohysterectomy.

Good luck
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Get her fixed.
    Scheduled for the 18th, actually.

Can it be done while she's in heat? You might need to reschedule for a few weeks off?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I think if she is getting particularly dirty, she may actually appreciate a good bath. Being clean does wonders for the disposition of most animals. I mean, I guess the only thing you shouldn't do is like, try to clean her out or whatever, don't stick anything inside, just wash the area gently and thoroughly. I've never had a dog but I'm just talking from a mammalian logic perspective. I think the diaper/liner thing sounds like a great idea, especially since they are made to absorb quickly and neutralize odor.
  • Changinghabits68
    Changinghabits68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My dog is having her second heat cycle, and is still bleeding from her vagina. She's quite dirty and in need of a bath. Anything I should know before doing so? Is it dangerous to bathe while bleeding? How can I towel her off without getting the towel bloody? HELP!!!

How many days has she been bleeding? Dogs go through about a 21 day heat cycle. Would this be her first or second heat? As for bathing, that is fine. I agree with the other poster who mentioned about the doggie panties. That's what I put my female in when she had her first heat. They have some very cute ones if you are looking for something fun.

Second, are you planning on breeding her? If not, I would encourage you to get her spayed, but the vet won't fix her til she is out of heat.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    How about doing to responsible thing and having her spade?

ETA: Did not read through before I commented. Thank you for doing that. Goodness knows we do not need more puppies that never find a home to love them.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How about doing to responsible thing and having her spade? There's enough dogs out there that don't have homes and are put down everyday.
    Ummm....he had it scheduled for the 18th but now she's in heat.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I refuse to have a female child or buy any female animal.

Shoulda inquired about that when you bought the thing...google it.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

ETA: Did not read through before I commented. Thank you for doing that. Goodness knows we do not need more puppies that never find a home to love them.
    Also...its spayed...not spade. If she did that to her dog, she would need to be arrested. lol
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

LT_Spade_5.gif
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What's with the hostility in here? Anyway, yes, wash her with warm water and dry her off with a designated towel. Does no harm and can prevent matting around that area. You may have to reschedule the spaying though, as I believe you need to wait 6(I think) weeks after her season to do it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Get her uterus removed immediately and you won't have this problem :drinker:
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I really envy canines, only having to worry about such things twice a year.....