Spinach in smoothies?

Options
KimH313
KimH313 Posts: 162
Can someone please explain to me if it's true that you can't taste spinach in a smoothie? I have noticed lots of recipes with spinach in them and I bought a bunch today and want to try it but have this feeling it's gonna be gross lol, I need reassurance and recipes!

Replies

• allandas
    allandas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually made one yesterday with spinach and frozen dark cherries. I couldn't taste the spinach at all and it blended in really well.
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really can't taste it. I use it in any smoothie recipe. Just throw in a handful.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    true story
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i put spinach and kale in my along with some fruit and don't taste it. never tried it without fruit in it.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    good to know! i put celery in a smoothie the other day just to try it out and i could definitely taste it haha
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, if done correctly you will hardly taste it! I make mine with about 1 cup O.J., 1 1/2 cups spinach, some stevia, then strawberries are the trick...it takes over the taste of the spinach. Actually and berry will do. I also do some with collard greens and Kale. Need to watch the amounts on those...not to much! You can also blend those with the spinach or separately. Good luck!
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's true. Blew my freakin mind!!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I put a lot of spinach in my "green smoothies" and it is awesome and you cant even taste it!

Green smoothie---

1-2 c spinach
    1/2 cup pineapple
    1 banana
    1/2 cup mango

sometimes i substitute mango for pear.

a super smoothie is banana, kale, spinach, and pear.

drink for 2 weeks and you will no longer need coffee and ur skin will thank you!

i swear by this.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Yup! My 5 year old devoured my smoothie left overs today. Now, when I use the collard greens, I definately taste them...but I actually enjoy the contrasting flavors.
  • Jdo13
    Jdo13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can't taste it at all! My only recommendation is to make sure you blend it well to make sure you don't have the chunks of spinach floating.

My green monster is: 1-2 cups spinach, 1 cup milk (of any type), 1 vanilla greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon natural pb, 1 frozen banana

Happy Smoothies!
  • KimH313
    Options
    Thanks all! My fav smoothie right now is peanut butter, banana, almond milk ice and oats so I hope the spinach will not effect the taste of that. Thanks!
  • ashiyo
    ashiyo Posts: 23
    Options
    I always use baby spinach in my morning smoothie... like, three to four cups of it! All I ever taste is delicious, tasty black berries. I use a banana, about a third cup of vanilla almond milk, fresh black berries and a frozen berry medley. :) I have never been good about eating my veggies... since I was a wee one, and I feel this is an excellent way to get some much needed veggie and fruits in!!
  • ashiyo
    ashiyo Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks all! My fav smoothie right now is peanut butter, banana, almond milk ice and oats so I hope the spinach will not effect the taste of that. Thanks!

Also, that sounds delicious, let me know how the spinach in that kind of smoothie goes over.. I may like to change it up sometime!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Also, that sounds delicious, let me know how the spinach in that kind of smoothie goes over.. I may like to change it up sometime!

This is one of my staples. And you can't taste the spinach in this one either. I LOVE green smoothies.
  • KimH313
    Options
    Well my mind is officially blown!!! So good!!!!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • chellefatfree
    chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just made one this morning with blueberries, banana's and spinach - would never know the spinach was in there!!
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I use fresh I cant taste it. I tried frozen once and yuck! Stick with fresh and its well hidden by the fruit.
  • jlhanks
    jlhanks Posts: 33
    Options
    I put at least 1 cup of spinach in all my smoothies..both for me and my 3 year old! Frozen strawberries and mango are the best combo and you can't taste the spinach at all. Enjoy!! :)
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I make mine with kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, carrots and a banana. Blueberries are a plus if I've got them on hand. My smoothie base is unsweetened almond milk and a natural flavor protein powder. Experiment!