working out when your sick?

Options
i know thats not a very good idea, your body needs rest. My throat is very sore and my body aches. Does anybody know when a good time to get back to your regular workout routine would be?

Replies

• vhaymakerv
    Options
    i know thats not a very good idea, your body needs rest. My throat is very sore and my body aches. Does anybody know when a good time to get back to your regular workout routine would be?
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I would wait until your symptoms are gone and you feel at full strength.

We do not need exercise to lose weight, but it helps. Exercise is good for us when we are at full health. Your body needs to spend the energy on getting well again. Focus on that.

I think it is great that a lot of energy is spent working out, but if you cut calories alone you still lose weight.

Like everything else, Exercise in moderation. It is a tool to weight loss, but not the main tool which is cutting calories.

I would also make sure I ate a little more during your recovery process. Listen to your body, if it wants chicken soup, give it chicken soup. If it is not hungry, go with that. Listen to what it tells you.

Hope you feel better soon,

Connie Lynn
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am SO with Connie on this one.
    When you are sick you need to worry more about your health and getting to feeling better then a workout. But if you are in need of moving go for a walk, If it is too cold outside walk around your house.
    set the timer on the oven for 5 min and do 5 min at a time. Go slow and easy. But your best bet is to just rest.
    --Diann...
  • vhaymakerv
    Options
    thanks for the advice!:smile:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    REST! Sometimes our bodies have a way of telling us to chill out! So listen, yours may be talking to you.

I fell yesterday and banged my knee up pretty bad. I was bound and determined to keep my normal exercise routine today...NOT. I went to the gym and had to majorly scale down my plans. I decided it was more important to take it easy a couple days and let my knee recover than push it today and have an injury that takes months to heal.

I am not usually that good at "listening" to my body, but I am learning!

Take care of your cold first and when you do feel back up to par don't overdue it. Give yourself some time to readjust to the exercise routine! You don't want to relapse!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I just got over being sick myself. I started feeling sick Friday, went to the gym anyway and did some moderate cardio exercise. Got a good nights sleep and took Saturday and Sunday off (I was busy Saturday anyway and Sunday I didn't leave the couch). I stayed home from work on Monday but started feeling a bit better so went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for an hour and a half...it made me feel much better. Then last night I did weights and yoga and felt tons better following! Today I'm still a little stuffed, but ready for a more normal night at the gym. So, I agree....REST IS KEY!! But for me...the moderate exercise made me feel better. So, just listen to your own body and do what feels right. It will tell you...I promise! Good luck and get better!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just got over bronchitis and was conerned about when to go back to the gym as well. All the research I did said pretty much the same thing. If you are very sick you should rest because the engergy your body would be using to heal will go toward exercising.

If you only have a slight cold it's ok to exercise. It's also ok as you improve if it's more serious, if your fever is gone but you still have some congestion and a cough go ahead and do some light cardio. It will actually help the congestion. It did for me! :smile:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is the "neck up". If your symptoms are from the neck up (excluding fever), you may exercise if you listen to your body and stop when it's tired. If the symptoms are below the neck, you should limit exertion.

The all over aches are a little tricky, sometimes they are simply because you aren't sleeping well, aren't working out, etc. I agree with everyone else about going for a walk. The fresh air does amazing things for your body and soul. Sunshine also provides Vitamin D so that will boost the healing process too. And if the crud is all congestion, the exercise will increase you circulation and help pump it out! Just be sure you keep up on the fluids, especially if taking decongestants as they will dehydrate you.

Feel better soon and don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • vhaymakerv
    Options
    thanks for all the responses guys i truly appreciate it!!