Master Cleanse

Options
im thinking about doing this....im just worried about losing muscle mass so i plan to walk and do a little pilates with it
but i dont want to gain back all the wieght when i start eating right again

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    im thinking about doing this....im just worried about losing muscle mass so i plan to walk and do a little pilates with it
    Then don't do it since most of the weight you lose is water. And once you rehydrate, a lot of the weight comes back. "Cleanses" are nothing more than money making scams for the sellers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it since most of the weight you lose is water. And once you rehydrate, a lot of the weight comes back. "Cleanses" are nothing more than money making scams for the sellers.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    well i kinda feel like its impossible to not lose fat if im only drinking the cleanse and im walking and doing pilates
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    the best kind of cleanse that you can do honestly is drink distilled water for a day plus eat your vegatables and fruits. The best kinds are organic, that goes for meat too. It will do your body loads of good and still give you the "cleanse" that these markets say you will get. half the time thier just scams...the best cleanse you can do for your body is everything natural and organic for a week, nothing man made, like salt, butter, soy milk, deli meat, as for coffee and tea if your a coffee holic like me then drink it straight with nothing in it. its a tough challenge but its the best one out there...I'm not sure what you can do for dairy but I'm sure if you look around you can find something...you should only drink the distilled water for about a day and then purified water the rest of the time. The best way to do this is boil your water then run it through a coffee filter. it will burn out the impurities of the tap water and it will taste better too..just don't drink it hot lol its not fun
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    the best kind of cleanse that you can do honestly is drink distilled water for a day plus eat your vegatables and fruits. The best kinds are organic, that goes for meat too. It will do your body loads of good and still give you the "cleanse" that these markets say you will get. half the time thier just scams...the best cleanse you can do for your body is everything natural and organic for a week, nothing man made, like salt, butter, soy milk, deli meat, as for coffee and tea if your a coffee holic like me then drink it straight with nothing in it. its a tough challenge but its the best one out there...I'm not sure what you can do for dairy but I'm sure if you look around you can find something...you should only drink the distilled water for about a day and then purified water the rest of the time. The best way to do this is boil your water then run it through a coffee filter. it will burn out the impurities of the tap water and it will taste better too..just don't drink it hot lol its not fun

Good advice, but I disagree with drinking distilled water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water#Drinking_distilled_water
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is a slow process- a cleanse may help you lose some fat, but you will lose muscle and the majority of what you lose will be water or waste. It's really not worth putting yourself through or paying for and pilates and walking arent going to retain your muscle mass.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    well i kinda feel like its impossible to not lose fat if im only drinking the cleanse and im walking and doing pilates

The problem is everything else you will lose.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

The problem is everything else you will lose.

And the second problem is what you gain back after finishing the cleanse. Without weight training and proper nutrition in a calorie SURPLUS, it won't be muscle. But once you start eating real food in real amounts again, you WILL gain something back.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Think about what you do to your body. You tell it, for however long the cleanse is, "you get no food!" What do you think it is going to do when it gets food again? Store all of it. And it will then take you time to get it to realize it is ok to burn some of the food and not keep it all.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You lose more fat at rest than exercising. Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) gets it's calorie burn from fat. And any exercise will first burn glycogen before even changing to fat for fuel.
    Do it right: Eat right, exercise, get rest and stay in calorie deficit to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I think this is great advice
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you need to cleanse, you probably need dialysis.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are such TERRIBLE things to do! Eating lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains combined with increased water will do the same thing in a natural way. Cleanses are basically just glorified laxatives.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    im going to try it it will make me feel light and more energetic so when i start doing insanity like i usually do ill be able to do more.
    and i dont know about the whole water wieght thing cuz in this cleanse all you do is pretty much drink water all day long
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well, glad we could help. :noway:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    im going to try it it will make me feel light and more energetic so when i start doing insanity like i usually do ill be able to do more.
    and i dont know about the whole water wieght thing cuz in this cleanse all you do is pretty much drink water all day long

Then all you are going to flush out is water.

The best way to get rid of water weight is to drink water... and I'd be careful because if you drink too much, you're going to wind up in the hospital with water poisoning.

You lose fat by eating at a calorie deficit and exercising(cardio and strength). You don't lose fat by doing master cleanses and thinking that it's going to magically fix your weight gain.. Losing weight takes time and dedication... Not quick fixes.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I'm about 99.9% sure that this is the opposite of what will happen. But if it does, please let us know. And the media. They will want to do a special.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Okay I would encourage you to do a lot more research. Loosing fat and feeling more energized does not require some crazy cleanse.

Do you know the whole cleanse? Did you read the part where you drink senna tea at night and a quart of luke warm salt water every morning? That is a big part of it. What that does:
    Gives you the screaming poops gross huh? And you do it every day

There are things I will give up to lose fat, but control of my butt is not one of them xD