Finally fit moms, esp. those who had c-sections, be honest!

Options
I need someone to break it down for me, those of you who are moms and got out of shape and are now fit, or at least "more" fit than before.

This is embarrassing to admit, :frown: so please don't judge!

I've had 3 c-sections in my life, so I definitely have a scar on my belly where my uterus is. I'm also a bit fat, so that incision area definitely marks where the fat hangs over.

When I lose the weight, will I always have a fat roll that hangs over? Is this something that will need surgical correction, or is there a possibility that my belly will retract back into at least a somewhat normal looking stomach with a scar?

Also, I have stretch marks. They are "clear", meaning "old". How do stretch marks look after you've lost weight? Are they wrinkley and gross or do they still kind of retain that "silvery sheen"? I can deal with it if it's not gross and wrinkley, but if it requires surgery so that it won't look like hamburger laying on my stomach, I want to start saving money for that now.

Thanks for letting me be candid, and for your non-judging honesty! :embarassed:

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I need someone to break it down for me, those of you who are moms and got out of shape and are now fit, or at least "more" fit than before.

I've had 3 c-sections in my life, so I definitely have a scar on my belly where my uterus is. I'm also a bit fat, so that incision area definitely marks where the fat hangs over.

When I lose the weight, will I always have a fat roll that hangs over? Is this something that will need surgical correction, or is there a possibility that my belly will retract back into at least a somewhat normal looking stomach with a scar?

Also, I have stretch marks. They are "clear", meaning "old". How do stretch marks look after you've lost weight? Are they wrinkley and gross or do they still kind of retain that "silvery sheen"? I can deal with it if it's not gross and wrinkley, but if it requires surgery so that it won't look like hamburger laying on my stomach, I want to start saving money for that now.

• wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I never had stretch marks so I don't know about that part . . .

But as for the stomach - I am now 133 lbs and I still can't get my lower stomach to be flat! I try so hard and you can touch my stomach thru the skin and it is really hard underneath - I can even see "2" of the "6-pack abs" at the top of my stomach - but that lower section - I think it is just skin left over from having 2 children. 1 was natural and 1 was a C-section.

I would love to hear others take on this as I am thinking that to get rid of this lower ab "pooch" I am going to have to go the surgery route. No amount of exercise seems to be able to get rid of that extra skin?!

Can't wait to hear some responses.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I had 3 c-sections at ages 30, 31 and 34. I, too, was thin before I had children, but gained as much as 43 pounds while pregnant. While I lost some weight after having kids, I never got close to my previous 110. Now, at almost 55 years old, I weigh 139 pounds, which is not considered overweight, but is too much for my frame.
    To answer your questions, I do not exactly have a roll of fat over the incicision. It is definitely indented there and always will be, but I guess I have enough muscle tone that nothing hangs over. So, I've never contemplated surgery except possibly to repair the umbilical hernia I got from my first pregnancy.
    As for the stretch marks, there was never any improvement. In fact, my former inny belly-button has been permanently stretched out. I was in my 30s and didn't really care - I just never wore a bikini again and my husband will just have to live with it. He got 3 beautiful, healthy children so the trade-off was worth it.
    Just hang in there with the exercise and counting calories. Good luck.
  • notoprod
    notoprod Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also have fat roll hanging over the incision mark. So far, I haven't seen any changes in it. So, maybe surgery is the only way out. I am still hoping that it will vanish by the time I reach my goal
  • faylou
    faylou Posts: 89
    Options

I have had three c sections as well, I have the exact same belly roll hanging over the incision mark only about 1" now, which is good, but never seems to change, I do not really have any feeling on the ridiculous piece of skin either because of the nerve damage.
    So unattractive:angry:

But the only way to remove that I was told be my doctor is a tummy tuck. Now I already have the large scar from the numerous c - sections but not sure I want to go there.

My oldest child is almost 11 and my youngest 6 so I can tell you the Stretch marks stay just a silver colour, The do not really get better then that
    I only have about 6 lbs to go till Im at my goal weight on 135lbs

So I have decided really I dont worry about it that much, Stretch marks are there to remind me of my kids I actaully know which ones are from each child and the ones that had gotten larger too.

One day maybe that little roll will go away but at 35 yrs old I think just to get to my goal weight will be a self esteem booster for me,I wont be that 125 lb 23 yr old before kids, Im ok with that.
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    well, from what i hear in order to get rid of flabby kangaroo pouch skin that hangs after child bearing, you shouldn't loose weight so drastically cuz then you'll just end up with MORE flabby kangaroo pouch skin. instead you should build enough muscle underneath the fat so that your skins elasticity will tighten along with the strengthning of your lower ab muscles. Yes to losing weight but do it gradually so that you're excersizing will tone your muscles in sync with your dieting so there isn't excess flab. In other words make sure the dieting and the toning are flattering eachother instead of working against eachother. Also, if you're killing yourself with sit ups and nothings working for the pouch here is why... Most "at-home" ab exercises target the the upper and mid abs more then the lower abs. To work your lower abs (below your bellybutton) you should be focusing more on leg lifts then crunches. This is advice i learned from a 2nd place world class bodybuilder who is beyond fit and is a personal trainer at the world gym in nevada. I think i read gillian michaels say the same thing as well in her "biggest loser" book.

Now, about the scar tissue and "the flab that hangs over it". When you lose weight and tone, your stomach overall will tighten. So it really depends on how good you'll get with toning those ab muscles of yours. If I were in your shoes I would make sure I'm even-ning out each section of my abs to make sure they keep up with eachother. Think of your scar as a "sectioning". Work the bottom and the top sections individually. Make sure you're targeting the correct sections to compensate. The difficulty level will definitely incline with a higher amount of skin that is hanging over. I hope you are not too far gone and have great discipline. ( i mean that with all seriousness my best wishes go out to you)

Not to be rude, i'm just being honest, most over weight people that got skinny after having skin flapping over their belt line usually have to get it cosmetically corrected because once the skin is stretched so far the damage is done it's kinda like dead skin. There's excess skin that the muscle can never get to because it's just too separated from the muscle. Take for example the "octo-mom", i've seen pictures of her stomach afterward and she's definitely going to need corrective surgery just for the sake of her back. I know you aren't that large but it's an example. Some people are beyond the saving point and should consider looking into corrective surgery loans. I wish you all the luck. Bless you and your children.

.s.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi there!

I had a c-section a little over a year ago and I am happy to report that the pouch is almost gone! Obviously the scar has left an indentation, but I can deal with that! This is what worked for me...cutting out fast food, I was totally addicted! This was huge for me and in order to do it, I stopped eating meat, not becuase all of it is bad, just the kind I was eating (jr bacon cheeseburgers). ANYways, I also started running. I have NEVER been a runner by any means but I gave it a go and kept at it, now I enjoy it. Go figure!!! I'm still working on the fat on my hips, any tips let me know!! :bigsmile:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Well I was skinny before I got married and was overweight when I got pregnant. I got up to 218 when I had my daughter. I also had to have a c-section and I have all the stretch marks from below my breasts to my scar. Not to mention the hysterectomy scars and gall bladder removal scars. A few years ago I got down to 155 and gained back up to 192. Now I am at 177. I never lost my pudge and muffin top. I hate it but I didn't feel so bad about it when I was a smaller size. If anyone can tell a great way to get rid of it without surgery that would be awesome! Good luck to all of us c-section moms! I still think I would rather be a smaller size with the smaller muffin top than be my bigger size with the muffin top.
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'll join in on the c-section "club" we got going on!

I had to have an emergency c-section so my scar runs from the top of my pubic bone to the bottom of my navel! So, not only do I have this huge scar, but when they were sewing me up, they sewed me up kinda crooked so one side sticks out more than the other and now it looks like I have butt cheeks on my stomach!

I remember seeing a book somewhere after I had my daughters that talked about ways to lose the c-section pudge, but I never bought it (thinking I could do it all on my own!) and now can't remember the name!

I'm no help with the stretch marks though. I only got like 2 when I was pregnant, but now my hips, thighs, butt, and boobs are covered from gaining so much weight over the last 2yrs. My sister got a ton when she was pregnant the first time around and all of hers just faded to a silvery white and are hardly noticeable now!
  • EBurnham
    EBurnham Posts: 31
    Options
    I had a c-section when my daughter was born just a little over a year ago. I got back in shape, my new abs are where the pouch used to be (thank God for pilates!) but still retain my stretch marks and scar. I don't look at them as embarrassments, but as battle scars. My stretch marks are very visible, but really silvery. I don't think they'll ever leave, lol.