Haven't lost this week, is it due to my period coming?

Options
Ok I've measured my weight this week and I haven't lost anything. My period is due in a couple of days so is that the cause? I think that's what happens so I'm not going to get to frustrated about it. I just thought that since this is my first week totally committed to doing SOMETHING physical I would see some kind of results on the scale. Or do I need to step up the work outs??

Replies

• natabugg
    Options
    Ok I've measured my weight this week and I haven't lost anything. My period is due in a couple of days so is that the cause? I think that's what happens so I'm not going to get to frustrated about it. I just thought that since this is my first week totally committed to doing SOMETHING physical I would see some kind of results on the scale. Or do I need to step up the work outs??
  • kw8man
    kw8man Posts: 12
    Options
    Getting your period can definetley cause you to hold on to water weight so that could be the cause of you not losing any weight since its right around the corner. I would suggest continuing to drink 8 glasses of water a day and when your period is over you should flush that all out. Also, working out while you're on your period is good and can help your cramps, but dont over do it and push yourself to hard!! Good luck :o)
  • amandacain1997
    amandacain1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes...your period could definately effect the scale. For example, I lost three pounds the first week and then got on the scale the next week and had lost nothing (I had just started my period). I was so bummed out! My husband then kindly reminded me that he thought having your period causes water retention. I of course remembered that, but was also kind of overreacting at that moment.

Also you have to remember that when you start working out, your body is building muscle...especially if you're doing any weight training. Because muscle weighs more than fat, sometimes the scale will reflect a gain at first rather than a loss. Hang in there and don't give up!! It will start melting away before you know it!

I also found that drinking at least 8 cups of water a day helps! I thought I'd never be able to handle drinking that much, but I bought a 1 liter bottle of water and then fill it up twice daily. My goal is to have the first liter gone by lunchtime and then fill it up again and have the second liter gone before I do my workout in the evening! So far so good!

Good luck to you!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There was a week that the scale showed a 5 pound gain.
    So if you are staying steady and still doing all of the right things OH YEAH that WONDERFUL TIME OF THE MONTH can be a great big pain in the YOU KNOW WHAT!
    But then when you are done there are times when you see a bigger then normal drop.
    When that happens let us know so we can all join in on your happy dance. :bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    YEs, ugh, I gain anywhere from 2-10lbs depending on what my diet has been like. Just keep eatting right and you will be fine!