Parsley Spread

Mountain_woman
Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
edited October 19 in Food and Nutrition
I came across the original recipe in a vegetarian cookbook, played with it and adapted it to work for me. One tablespoon is 19 calories and has a lot of flavor. Instead of mayo or a pre-made spread, I put this on sandwiches, use it as dip for fresh veggies and dollop it into my lentil soup along with fresh pico de gallo for a cool contrast for my sour cream fix. I really enjoy it and if it makes one other person happy then it was worth the share. I'd love to hear feedback and variations.

Parsley Dip

Chick peas, 1 4/5 cup (1 standard size can, drained and fluids reserved)- 385 Calories
Flat Leaf Parsley, 2oz or 1 big bunch- 16 Calories
Chopped Garlic, 3 tblsp- 90 Calories
Cibo Naturals, Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Basil Pesto- 70 Calories
Darigold - Low Fat 2 % Trim Cottage Cheese, 226 grams ( 1 cup )- 200 Calories
Salt and Cracked Pepper

In a blender put parsley first, then remaining ingredients with the exception of Salt and Pepper. Blend adding a little of the bean fluid at a time just so it all gets moving in a blending swirl. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Yields roughly 40 (+) tablespoons. Sets up overnight into a more solidified spread. As it hangs out in your fridge, it may need the occasional stir to reblend. Lasts at least a week, but I go through it pretty fast.

40 tablespoon yield
1 tablespoon= 19 calories

I like to vary this recipe in a few ways:

*Instead of Chick Peas, Lima Beans, White beans or any other bean of choice.
*Instead of Flat Leaf Parsley, you can use Watercress or Spinach.
*Instead of Pesto (Kirkland Brand) you can use a brand of your own choosing or forgo the pesto and add varying fresh herbs. It cuts out the oil, cheese and nuts of the pesto. Still, the caloric cost is so miniscual vs. the flavor, I find it's worth it.
*Occasionally I throw in 3 stalks of green onions, chopped, for a flavor variation.
This discussion has been closed.