Non-sandwich lunch ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• AudraG4vet
    Options
    I know of a Russian recipe my roommate taught me our first semester in college. (She's from Russia, so, yeah, it is literally Russian.) But it's a rice salad - 1/2 cup white rice, 1 mini can clams or shrimp, and a mini can of corn, cooked in a diluted broth solution (like, 15-20% broth in water), cook it all together until the rice is soft. Serve it with a spoon (or two) of mayonnaise or your favorite dressing. It's good hot or cold! The proportions I listed above give me a whole meal's worth. :)
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I try to make leftovers whenever I can too. But we tend to have heavy dinner meals which aren't always healthy. Like spaghetti. I feel like a mess after eating such a heavy lunch and then going back to my desk to sit for 4+ hrs. I'm trying to limit those and sneak in healthier, more satisfying options. Thanks for all the Great ideas so far! I'll have to take a look at those sites too and make up a meal plan! =)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I recommend making homemade soup. Lentil soup is super easy. Here are 3 methods
    1. lentil and sausage soup: Brown some chopped sausage, anyone works, in about a 1 tablespoon of oil. Once it is brown, sautee onions, carrots, celery, bell pepers with the oil and drippings.. Onions are required, the rest is optional. Add some spices: cumin, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, chili flakes, whatever you like. This is a good time to add garlic. Add in 2 cups of dried lentils (i use green as they hold their shape well), a can of diced tomatoes and about 3 cups of broth or water. Add salt and pepper to taste, you won't need much salt since sausage is salty. Simmer for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are done and it looks a little thicker. A few options: add some brown rice or barely after about 20 minutes. Add some chard, spinach or other green after about 35 minutes.
    2. curried red lentils with sweet potato or squash. Follow the instructions above but omit the sausage, celery and carrots. Use some curry powder, ginger and maybe some cayenne if you like it spicier. After 10 minutes have passed, add in the squash or sweet potato. This will be done in about 20-30 minutes.
    3. Basic lentils. sautee an onion in some oil (or a slice of bacon), add a bay leaf and thyme and maybe even cumin. Add water or broth and cook as usual for about 45 minutes. Use these lentils as a base for a salad. Add to pasta salad or quinoa with chopped veggies and herbs in a vinaigrette.

These all keep well in the freezer, so make a huge pot and portion out into individual portions. THen you can grab ont to bring to work when you have nothing to bring. :)

I like to make salad at lunch. I mixe cooked or raw veggies, a protein, maybe a grain or some beans, and make a different sort of vinaigrette for each salad. Mustard vinaigrette or orange or lemon or even soy depending on my pairings.

I also like to do a combo of protein, veggies and beans or lentils for a super filling lunch.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wheat/Spinache wraps, hummus (you can add chicken, turkey, roast beef), baby carrots, cucumber slices and yogurt

I love hummus!! Excuse me if this sounds dumb, but do you put all these in the wrap, or is the yogurt on the side?
    I know of a Russian recipe my roommate taught me our first semester in college. (She's from Russia, so, yeah, it is literally Russian.) But it's a rice salad - 1/2 cup white rice, 1 mini can clams or shrimp, and a mini can of corn, cooked in a diluted broth solution (like, 15-20% broth in water), cook it all together until the rice is soft. Serve it with a spoon (or two) of mayonnaise or your favorite dressing. It's good hot or cold! The proportions I listed above give me a whole meal's worth. :)

And this sounds interesting! I've just recently gotten into eating shrimp. I may have to give this a try. ;)
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    Wheat/Spinache wraps, hummus (you can add chicken, turkey, roast beef), baby carrots, cucumber slices and yogurt

I love hummus!! Excuse me if this sounds dumb, but do you put all these in the wrap, or is the yogurt on the side?

oops sorry, yorgurt on the side. I've been having cucumber slices and hummus on a a wrap, carrots and yorgurt are good additions to any lunch as a side/snack.
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    tuna, brown rice , broccoli, carrots and green onion....add your fav. asian seasonings

I do this occasionally :-)