constant heart rate vs varying heart rate

Options
I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference or is one more effective than the other?

1). a varying heart rate program on the cardio machine (as in going faster and then slower to vary your heart rate)

2). Keeping your heart rate in the "fat burning" zone rather than the "cardio" zone (FBZ=110-140, CZ=140 and up, as stated on the machines at the gym)

3). It doesnt matter what you do as long as you burn calories

I have read HEAPS and cant decide, so I was wondering what info others had.
Thanks

Replies

• littlespoon
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference or is one more effective than the other?

1). a varying heart rate program on the cardio machine (as in going faster and then slower to vary your heart rate)

2). Keeping your heart rate in the "fat burning" zone rather than the "cardio" zone (FBZ=110-140, CZ=140 and up, as stated on the machines at the gym)

3). It doesnt matter what you do as long as you burn calories

I have read HEAPS and cant decide, so I was wondering what info others had.
    Thanks
  • EFS1
    EFS1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey Littlespoon! I get super bored on the treadmill, elliptical, or bikes. I am always messing with the buttons (more incline or difficulty) faster/slower speeds, which in turns makes my cardio work out a varying heart rate program. A few trainers gave me varied opinions - one opinion was stay with a constant - the other was change it up as much as you want! However, the overall thought from all was do what works best for you. My 2 cents is go with choice 3. As long as you are burning the calories, do what feels right for you. Good Luck!:bigsmile:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options