Foods to eat when eating back calories burned from Exercise.

Options
I've been having a trouble figuring out how to eat the calories I've exercised back. I need suggestions on what foods I can eat that are healthy but high in calories. Sometimes I burn about 1000 calories in the gym, which means I would need to eat that many calories back in addition to my 1450 calories I'm already eating.

Any suggestions?

Jarnard Sutton

13054869_4523.jpg

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I never thought about making my exercise calories a certain kind of food, but now that you bring it up it kinda makes sense. I would assume protein would be best. Eat some extra chicken and black beans.
  • kymora
    kymora Posts: 7
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt or a banana after i exercise. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter.

Hit your macro/cal goals with whatever foods you want to eat. (1g/lb of LBM protein & .35g of bw fat minimum is what I aim for)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    normally i just eat a little bit more on exercise days - bigger portions or an extra snack, plus a protein shake when im done. i dont always use all my calories that day though. tonight i ate my extra exercise calories for the week at red robin. fried clam strips, shrimp, and cod with french fries, onion rings, and coleslaw.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you normally eat - just more of it!
    If you are looking for calorie dense food (ie, lots of cals without so much volume) you can go for nuts, dried fruits, avocado, olive oil dressing etc.
    Or use some of those cals for an extra serving of dinner or for a higher calorie food that you might not eat every day (ie ice cream or chocolate).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter.

Hit your macro/cal goals with whatever foods you want to eat. (1g/lb of LBM protein & .35g of bw fat minimum is what I aim for)

^ this.

I like to eat pasta, ice cream, pop tarts, cereal etc to meet my cal goals
  • MMH86
    MMH86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    On hard workout days I like to include brown rice, high protein and some healthy fats like an avacado, etc.. also banana w/ PB after workouts help me get those extra cals too!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I suggest protein and some carbs, especially after endurance training like training runs of 10 miles or longer. Your muscles will thank you if you drink/eat carbs within 90 minutes of a hard workout such as this.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that I drink Muscle Milk within 30 minutes of my long runs. After another hour or so, I eat a meal with healthy protein carbs and fats. e.g. seared salmon with teriyaki sauce, basmati rice, and sauteed veggies.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I like string cheese or nuts.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Protein shake/nuts/chocolate milk/avocado or banana before workin out
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    protien shakes mixed with milk are usually good way of quickly increasing your calories and also the protein will help any muscle damage and encourage muscle repair that happens during work outs. usually can get diff flavours from places like hollands and barrets n for a 1kg tub its usually bout 25 quid but always on promos etc, the one av used in past called "whey protien" is 100 calories for 1 scoop of the mixture and u can mix it with milk, water, yogurt etc xx
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    On days you know u are going to burn alot of cals, just add a few extra snacks in that day and maybe a protein shake of something.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a Larabar for high calories.