Useless Info

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    The average useless facts thread contains 30% urban legend with no basis in reality.

That reminds me of "93% of all statistics are made up on the spot."
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Birds evolved after mammals.

And for the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
    Amphibians, reptiles, and fish were laying eggs long before there were birds.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Values on the Monopoly gameboard are the same today as they were in 1935.
  • The Girl with the Dragon tattoo(swedish) starred Noomi Rapace which happened to star in the new Sherlock Holmes movie.

Sherlock Holmes and the American The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was released the same week.
  • capaxinfiniti
    A single coffee tree yields only one pound of roasted, ground coffee annually.
  • The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night

How many calories are spiders?! :frown:
  • magnets21
    magnets21 Posts: 17 Member
    The White House was designed by Irishman James Hoban
  • capaxinfiniti
    Rain contains vitamin B12
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20
  • capaxinfiniti
    In 1980, Namco released PAC-MAN, the most popular video game (or arcade game) of all time. The original name was going to be PUCK MAN, but executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the P in the games marquee and labeling.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Did you guys know that cats dont meow to each other. THey only learned to meow when they have us as owners because we cannot pick up there odors and other body language so they quickly learn that if they meow and we respond, they learn that meowing works

Same for dogs, they don't communicate with each other by barking, they developed it after they were domesticated. Wolves and foxes don't bark.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I have books upon books of useless information. One is titled the book of general ignorance

we have that book too! :-)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

I knew it!
  • The average human produces 3 pounds of ear wax in a lifetime
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member

Sharks have 2 penises (penii ???)

the actual term for this is diphalic.

four-legged mammals only have knees on their front legs.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    An apple, onion, and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are caused by their smell. To prove this - pinch your nose and take a bite from each. They will all taste sweet.

I think I'll leave that experiment to someone who is a little more naive:laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

Sharks have 2 penises (penii ???)

the actual term for this is diphalic.

I think it's so hot that you know that.

A duck's quack won't echo
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Did you guys know that cats dont meow to each other. THey only learned to meow when they have us as owners because we cannot pick up there odors and other body language so they quickly learn that if they meow and we respond, they learn that meowing works

Same for dogs, they don't communicate with each other by barking, they developed it after they were domesticated. Wolves and foxes don't bark.

That sounds like something that could be true. My Border Collie _never_ barked until we got another dog and heard her bark. Now he won't shut the f*** up.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    It is against the law to whale hunt in Oklahoma. (Think about it...)

In Idaho a citizen is forbidden by law to give another citizen a box of candy that weighs more than 50 pounds.

Under the law of Mississippi, there’s no such thing as a female Peeping Tom.

Every citizen of Kentucky is required by law to take a bath at least once a year.

According to law, no store is allowed to sell a toothbrush on the Sabbath in Providence, Rhode Island. Yet these same stores are allowed to sell toothpaste and mouthwash on Sundays.

Before the enactment of the 1978 law that made it mandatory for dog owners in New York City to clean up after their pets, approximately 40 million pounds of dog excrement were deposited on the streets every year.

By law, information collected in a U.S. census must remain confidential for 72 years.

An old law in Bellingham, Washington, made it illegal for a woman to take more than 3 steps backwards while dancing.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Homilophobia ( the fear of Sermons):huh: