Why use a restrictive dieting plan...

Options
123457»

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion - will bump to come back to it later.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Saw a quote today that said "Never compare your journey with someone else's. Your journey is YOUR journey..not a competition"

We're all different, and therefore, the same methods don't work for everyone.
  • kirstand
    Options
    I'm guessing some people hard to restrict portions.
    i.e. I can't eat just one small block of chocolate without eating the whole lot, so for me it's been easier to stop all together and now I don't crave it as much.

I'm with you on this one!!
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    Saw a quote today that said "Never compare your journey with someone else's. Your journey is YOUR journey..not a competition"

We're all different, and therefore, the same methods don't work for everyone.

Yup!!!!

Most people would probably look at my journal right now and be like wtf is this? She is eating protien shakes, rice cakes, and "basic" and blan foods and not much for her activity level....what they don't know though is that due to allergies I had no idea I had, I put stress on my body, my entire GI tract swelled and got irritated, I got upper and lower GI bleeds, and a nice ulcer! So people can look at my journal and be d bags about it without knowing what is going on, why I can no longer eat those things that people think I am omitting because I am trying to be too restrictive, and why I simply cannot eat much due to pain and discomfort after having a scope shoved down my throat and just the pain that comes with an untreated ulcer. My life is much more important than eating "yummy" foods.

As for other people. They might not want to eat cruddy foods anymore. They might be trying to retrain/reset their taste buds because they have trouble enjoying healthy foods right now (due to eating way too much refined sugar). There are just so many rerasons people can be doing this.

Simply, someone else's choices are not for you to judge unless you put it out there in the open and ask for your opinion. Worry about your own choices. I do this and it works well for me. I find when people are ready for nutrition advice, workout advice, even everyday life stuff, they will come to me without me bothering them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    To a point, I have to be restrictive--I'm diabetic, and some things don't fit in at all unless I have SO little of it that there's no point. One slice of pizza parlor pie? There goes my entire carb allowance for half the day. So I've only had one slice of pizza since April, when I was diagnosed. Same goes for birthday cakes with thick icing and nacho chips with all the fancy dips--I've had each exactly once, and that was it for my carbs that meal. But for the most part? I've just found a way to work around things, to watch the numbers and juggle as needed to make what I want fit in with what I can have. Heck, I'm having pasta with parmesan romano red sauce and an Italian sausage for dinner. So, for me, it's not really restricting so much as it's keeping very close track. No thoughtless eating, everything is planned out in advance and carefully measured. In addition, I've found that "padding" my meals with veggies really does help with the portions issue--instead of a heaping plate of pasta, I have one serving, plus julienned carrots and squash under that sauce. So it looks and feels like a lot more pasta than it really is, and it tastes amazing. Every meal comes with a salad and another two veggies, so by the time I get to my main course, I'm perfectly happy and satisfied with a single, sane portion. Hey, this far into it, it seems to be working for me!

Kris
    As mentioned, people with conditions would adhere to diets that pertain to them. But for average people who don't have conditions, restrictive dieting usually ends up being a boon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Good post. Relationship with food can someone's downfall or a strength. I would think that many family gatherings revolve around food, and if people don't want to go to them because they think they will fail at "dieting" then is that more important than actually spending a good time with the family?
    Life is to enjoy and not worry about a high calorie meal occasionally. As stated, if you're COMMITTED to getting a good body weight under control, you can eat things you really like and still attain it.
    Now before the "exception" people jump on this post, stick to what you have to do, but for the "average" person trying to lose, learn how now and eventually you'll get it down. It does take some discipline and will power, but not as much as you really think.

IDEA Fitness member

What if the food is the only reason you go to the family event? ;)
    Then it's still good!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mandizzlelephant
    Options
    I don't restrict any foods. I just try to find healthier alternatives. For example, I don't eat ice cream anymore, I eat yogurt. Instead of fruit snacks I eat fruit. My hardest to deal with is chocolate. A good friend of mine owns a chocolate shop and I may be working in her shop from now on. I "interview" tomorrow. I allow myself one of her truffles a day. I can no longer eat any other kind of chocolate. Hers are all natural and vegan so I consider it healthy to eat one per day because dark chocolate is good for you and hers is definitely the best out there!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To a point, I have to be restrictive--I'm diabetic, and some things don't fit in at all unless I have SO little of it that there's no point. One slice of pizza parlor pie? There goes my entire carb allowance for half the day. So I've only had one slice of pizza since April, when I was diagnosed. Same goes for birthday cakes with thick icing and nacho chips with all the fancy dips--I've had each exactly once, and that was it for my carbs that meal. But for the most part? I've just found a way to work around things, to watch the numbers and juggle as needed to make what I want fit in with what I can have. Heck, I'm having pasta with parmesan romano red sauce and an Italian sausage for dinner. So, for me, it's not really restricting so much as it's keeping very close track. No thoughtless eating, everything is planned out in advance and carefully measured. In addition, I've found that "padding" my meals with veggies really does help with the portions issue--instead of a heaping plate of pasta, I have one serving, plus julienned carrots and squash under that sauce. So it looks and feels like a lot more pasta than it really is, and it tastes amazing. Every meal comes with a salad and another two veggies, so by the time I get to my main course, I'm perfectly happy and satisfied with a single, sane portion. Hey, this far into it, it seems to be working for me!

Kris
    As mentioned, people with conditions would adhere to diets that pertain to them. But for average people who don't have conditions, restrictive dieting usually ends up being a boon.

IDEA Fitness member

Being a "boon?" I don't understand--do you mean a "bust?" Not trying to be a smart-*kitten*, just trying to get what you're saying. As for my diet, my point was it's not particularly restrictive and doesn't cut out huge food groups. Instead, it's a matter of keeping track and being sane, portions-wise.

Kris
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Kris

IDEA Fitness member

Being a "boon?" I don't understand--do you mean a "bust?" Not trying to be a smart-*kitten*, just trying to get what you're saying. As for my diet, my point was it's not particularly restrictive and doesn't cut out huge food groups. Instead, it's a matter of keeping track and being sane, portions-wise.

Kris
    My bad, I did mean bust. Trying to watch NFL Total Access and typing in thought is NOT my best attribute.

IDEA Fitness member
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can drink 12 beers a week and eat any kind of food and lose weight every week as long as i'm burning more calories then i'm consuming. I never gave up beer when i lost the first 50 lbs. What i do is eat about half the food and less then half the junk food i use to consume in fact i rarely eat snack food ie chips, pretzels, Cheetos's , etc... 8 light beers have less calories then a Wendy's Classic Cheeseburger and small fry without a drink.. Alcohol never inhibited weight loss at all. Same goes for fast foods. ie ever watch the movie Fat Head?.. Guy lost 12lbs in 28 days eating mostly fast foods. My point? You don't have to eat healthy to lose weight at all. I prefer healthy food although myself. I want it all and i'll do my best to have it.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Kris

IDEA Fitness member

Kris
    My bad, I did mean bust. Trying to watch NFL Total Access and typing in thought is NOT my best attribute.

IDEA Fitness member

Gotcha :-D

Kris