Ideas for Soup

Options
2»

Replies

• Annecs
    Annecs Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Leek and potato, shout if you want a recipe also a creamy mushroom one, all low fat.

I'd love a creamy mushroom recipe! Just because I love mushrooms so much :)
    Cream of mushroom
    serves 4 122 cals per serving 1% fat

2 white onions, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    350g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
    pinch of saffron
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
    1 tbsp plain flour
    600ml vegetable stock
    300ml semi-skimmed milk
    2% fat greek yoghurt

Dry fry onions and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, saffron and thyme continue to cook gently.

sprinkle over the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the stock and milk, simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Blend, again either the whole pan or half if you like a chunky soup. Add the yoghurt if using, stir through and serve.

I love this one, xx
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump :-)
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    Lentil soup is my new fave http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/

But I also make a tomato basil, cheese tortellini soup that is so good. I started with this recipe - used vegetable stock instead of chicken. But I have tweaked it a bit. http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-basil-tortellini-soup-223517
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My favourite soups at the moment are roast butternut squash with cumin and chilli, and curried lentil and veg...

One large butternut squash
    a couple of carrots
    one onion
    2-3 garlic cloves
    cumin
    chilli flakes

Chop everything up into inch size cubes, put in a roasting tray, spray with olive oil spray (or just use a drizzle of normal olive oil but use your hands to cover everything in the tray!) and roast for 20-30 mins. Once done, bring a pan of chicken or veg stock (liquid quantities depend on how thick you want your soup) to a simmer, then add your roast veggies and blitz! Season to taste :)

Curried lentil and veg

a couple of large carrots
    red onion
    2-3 garlic cloves
    fresh chillies
    ginger (tsp of prepared)
    red lentils

I literally just chuck everything into a pan, maybe a cup of red lentils, with chicken or veg stock (again, depends on how thick you like your soup!) once everything is cooked through, blitz... I then add a couple more tablespoons of lentils to the smooth soup to give texture, then some chopped green beans for colour... season to taste!

Both soups are dead low... both usually serve 4-5 people, the lentil one coming out at around 100 cals and the butternut squash soup coming out at about 140. YUM!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Google Country Living's Pumpkin Chicken Chowder and instead of roasting the peppers yourself, buy the jarred ones (not in oil). It's an amazing soup.

Also, Simplyrecipes has a simply amazing smooth Sweet Potato Soup that I make a double batch and freeze portions.

I also love pea soup with ham, potatoes and carrots.

Another is a chicken cacciatore soup. you basically make chicken cacc with boneless skinless breast, shred it after it's cooked, but add a can or two extra of broth and serve it over yolk free noodles.

I also make Hot & Sour soup, which I'll share the recipe. :)

Screenshot2012-01-16at84915AM.png

Slice up the bamboo shoots to thin slices, and same with mushrooms

Add all (mushrooms, shoots, meat, tofu, salt/pepper to taste) to hot broth, bring to a light boil and add wine and a splash of soy sauce to taste. You can also thicken with some cold water and corn starch. Serve and dash the hot oil over each serving.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP

1 can of each-
    Cream of Chicken soup
    Chicken broth
    Enchilada sauce
    Green chilies
    8 oz sour cream
    1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
    2 chicken breasts OR 1 or 2 cans chicken

Mix altogether--Works great in a crock pot. I double the recipe to fill my crock pot completely up.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the lentil and split pea soups. I just cook them and season with a little salt, pepper and garlic.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    one of my favourites is a kinda chilli tomoato soup. lol its just turnip carropts, chopped tinned tommaotes, onions, leek then tomato puree and chilli powder all mixed with vegtable stock and left to simmer. (no "official recipe) so i just play around with the flavors, and if u dont have time / dont want too, cut all the veg urself i usually use pre chopped veg from tesco, makes it so much quicker!!
    and because its all veg in it, its very low in calories :) x
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I tried making this curried cauliflower soup in my slow cooker and it turned out great:

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/curried-cauliflower-soup-revisited.html

I substituted sweet potatoes for regular ones and I can definitely recommend that.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just bought the New Covent Garden soup book and that has tons of recipes in (365).

If you want any (and I'm not abotu to list the lot! :) ) then shout.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I made carrot, ginger and corriander soup the other day and it was lush... and apparently under 60 cals a portion, so that means I'm eating tons of it! x

Recipe please!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low sodium chicken broth with any veggies you like. I like cabbage, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, onions, corn, peas, Garlic, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, thyme,and S & P to taste....... You can leave it all veggies or add some chicken or beans. .Low in cals and high in fiber, so you can have a bunch.
    Think I may make some today.