Tilapia help!

Options
Island_Style20
Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
Well, no one responded to my last post so I'm trying again! I'd really appreciate any simple tilapia recipes anyone has? I'm not much of a cook, so simple is key! Thanks again! :)

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Here we go: Tilapia with Corn Salsa
    4 (6-oz) tilapia filets
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
    3/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
    2 tablespoons chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper

Turn on the broiler on your oven and put the rack 4-6 inches from the top. Brush fish on both sides with oil; sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Put on a broiler pan or baking sheet, and broil for 5-7 minutes until the fish is completely opaque and firm. (You know how the fish will flake with a fork when it's done, just test it with a fork.) Stir together all remaining ingredients in a bowl to make the salsa. Serve the salsa over (or beside) the fish. (Also -- I would spray your pan with nonstick spray before you put the fish on it.)

Have a great day!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick and easy way:

Bake it (around 350 for fresh non frozen, about 8-9 mins on each side, make sure the fish is all white in the centre), with salt, pepper and lime juice, and serve it with a homemade salsa with mango. (for the salsa, just put the onions, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro in a food processor, add some grated lime rhinds and then mix in the mango) The salsa is best served the day after you make it, to get all the flavours out and mingling.

You can also quick fry it, in low-fat oil, and a sprinkle of curry powder. You can serve it with fried chick peas (aka garbanzo beans), use the same pan as you did the tilapia, 1st add some minced onions, a small bit of white wine and curry powder, then add the chick peas.

Hope that helps!
  • amylweber
    Options
    Tilapia Italiano - From LA WeightLoss

1 Serving
    5oz Tilapia filet
    1 tsp crushed garlic
    1/4 tsp lemon pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    dash of light salt
    2 tomatoes, diced
    nonfat cooking spray
    ground black pepper

Rinse Tilapia with cold water and pat dry. Sprinkle fish with oregano, lemon pepper, and salt.
    Coat Skitllet with cooking spray. Saute garlic over med heat for aprox. 1 min. Then add seasoned fish to pan. Cook each side until opaque. Remove fish from pan.
    Add tomantes to pan heating for 2 mins.
    Return fish to pan until hot again.
    Serve with a sprinkle of ground pepper

Sorry I don't have the caloric info....
  • bergie66
    bergie66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My favorite tilapia recipe

.Easy Baked Tilapia
    * 4 (4 oz) tilapia fillets
    * 2 tbsp olive oil
    *1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
    *1/4 tsp onion powder
    *1 tsp parsley
    *1 clove of garlic minced
    *1 lemon, sliced
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Place fish fillets in the bottom of the baking dish. Mix together olive oil, seasonings and garlic, brush on the top of fish fillets. Cover dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. If you are using frozen fillets, add 5 more minutes.
  • kerrisue84
    kerrisue84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I soak mine in orange juice for the day, then grill with garlic powder and black pepper. If you wish you can also cook in the skillet with just a dab of olive oil to prevent sticking, serve with lemon!
  • tvbibber
    Options
    Easiest and tastiest Tilapia:

One tilapia filet
    Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime

Grill it -- I use a NuWave oven for 12 minutes. That's it! :o)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite tilapia recipe. I usually just make it for myself for lunch so I scale the recipe waaaaaaaaay down to a single serving. This original recipes uses 2lbs of tilapia and makes 8 servings.

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon celery salt
    2 pounds tilapia fillets

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
    In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
    Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i use salsa with black beans and corn in it sometimes.. but a good way to find recipes is to google tialpia recipes.. a ton of things should come up .. best talapia i ever had was baked in a bag at the red lobster
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I get some foil, one tilapia fillet, veggies that you like-I have used sweet potatoes, green beans,, broccoli.. Spray the foil, season the veggies, put the tilapia on top and season. Wrap it up and grill or bake. Lemon slices on top are great!
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I made Talapia for my husband this week who does not eat anything that comes out of the water! All I did was put some blackening seasoning on it, little bit of olive oil and about 3 mins on each side…he loved it….YAY I get to eat fish now!
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is very forgiving and very versatile. I will absorb flavors like a sponge! Yum!

Anyway, all of the recipes given thus far sound amazing. I just want to add that if you want to not use added oil/fat while cooking, you can cook the tilapia in a pan with some water added to the bottom. Also, if you put enough spices that water will be a nice sauce for your fish!!

I prefer to add my fats in other ways, instead of while cooking. For example, if I made tilapia I would love to add diced avocado and salsa to it. There is my healthy fat (avocado), and I don't have to worry about having too much fat, since I didn't cook the fish in fat!

Also, with fish- always, always ALWAYS lemon!! Yum!!!!

Best of luck!
  • wazzername
    Options
    One thing for sure is to pat your fish dry with a paper towel before cooking !

Mix 1 tsp of prepared mustard with 1 tsp mayo
    Brush tilapia fillets with mixture (should be enough to cover 2)
    Bake on cookie sheet (sprayed first with cooking spray)
    Season with salt and pepper
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat much tilapia but I eat flounder which is another white fish. The simplest thing (and I'm just getting to where I can cook fish, I love it but so many times I make it it's just horrible) is to steam it, then I cook some vegetables and put the fish on top with some salt and pepper. Another thing I did was to put it in an aluminum foil pouch in the oven with some vegetables and lemon juice, that was good too.