Calling all runners

Options
I'm sure people consider me more of a jogger, but I like to call it running.
Today is my final day of c25k (yay!). I've been consistently "running" at 5.4-5.5 mph. I want to increase my speed, but idk how to do that without injuring myself. I start training for a 10k (it's in may) this week after I'm done w/ c25k and would like to get it done in under 60 minutes. I can run at 6mph, even 6.5 mph for a few minutes but can't sustain it very long. I'm 5'5" and anything over 6mph feels way too fast.

Any tips?

Replies

• tinabean72
    Options
    For your first race you should probably just train to finish - that in itself is a huge goal. Gauge how you did and then for the next one focus more on your time (speed work, hills, etc).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Right now the best thing to do is increase your weekly running volume to develop your aerobic fitness. Your aerobic fitness can continue to improve for up to 10 years and it is what will allow you to run without tiring. Along with that, your muscles, tendons, and bones will strengthen so that you can later add speed work without getting injured.

Don't worry about any speed work for at least 12 weeks. Every week run a little more than you did the week before. One day a week run longer than the other days. Try to build that day up to six to ten miles by the day of the race. Every few weeks cut back on the mileage if you are feeling tired. Add another day of running when you feel ready.

Run comfortably and you will naturally get faster by running volume alone. Later, add speed work and get even faster.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You can look up some training plans. Hal Higdon. Jeff Galloway. www.runnersworld.com

Most of those plans call for 1 or 2 small easy runs. 1 mid size run at tempo or doing speed work or hills. And 1 long run.

Your long run is for endurance. Your mid run is used to develop / increase your pace.