Sources of Iron

Options
Hey Everyone, I've been really watching my nutrition intake and I'm really lacking iron. What are top sources of iron? I'm not a vegetarian, but I generally don't eat a lot of meat.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.greenwala.com/channels/food-healthy-living/blog/10947-Meatless-Monday-5-Vegetarian-Sources-of-Iron

I take a supplement as well :) I just got blood work done and am no longer anemic!
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    all green vegetables are a good source of iron. cabbage, broccoli etc. also liver is vey high in iron. Kidneys are also a good source. If you can stand it and allow it in your diet Guinness is also very high in iron 1/2pint a day will be enough. (a Dr. told y mother this when she was anemic!) As a general rule the green food is high in iron.

I also noticed my iron was very low, so I started taking a multivitamin with iron in daily, just to make sure, however I still keep plenty of it in my diet as well. I also read iron help increase your metabolism.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Green vegetables, meat - especially red meat and organ meats like liver (ewww), canned salmon/tuna, chickpeas, blackstrap molasses are all good sources.

Or you can just take a supplement each day.
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It also helps to cook in a cast iron pan. If you do decide to take a supplement, it's helpful to take it with orange juice as the Vitamin C enables your body to better absorb the iron. Also, you should never take an iron supp. with milk, as that will actually inhibit the absorption of iron.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I had wanted to make sure that I was choosing foods that took care of my iron intake, that I establish a more balanced diet. Perhaps, while I'm figuring things out, I should just take a supplement and begin integrating all of these awesome ideas.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Dark green leafy vegetables and apricots.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Green, leafy vegetables, all the way! Also a lot of hot and cold cereals have high iron (oatmeal, etc). Soybeans and beans in general as well.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I add blackstrap molasses to my morning smoothie. It is very high in calcium and iron.