1.5 pound difference in one day?

Options
Ok, so I was bad and weighed myself the past two mornings (I can be a bit of an obsessive weigher) even though I wanted to do it once a week on Fridays.

Yesterday, the scale was 1.5 pounds MORE! What the heck? How is this possible? My sodium levels are not high at all, I am not sure what's going on.

I know it can fluctuate, but that much in one day?Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this before.

I'm kicking myself that I weighed in again because it really does get me down if I see numbers go up! :(

Thanks all!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes it can easily fluctuate more than that in one day. One reason could be the weight of the food you've eaten. Three cups of water weighs a pound and a half, for instance. It doesn't get lighter just because you put it in your stomach.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It happens. A lot. If you are going to weigh yourself every day, you are going to need to get used to it. And not let it freak you out. If it was fat, you would have had to have eaten about 5000 extra calories.

Don't worry, it will go away. Usually as fast as it comes on.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate 2-5lbs daily. This is why you shouldn't obssesively weigh yourself, wait a few weeks and overall, if you are eating correcty and exercising, the trend will show healthy weightloss.
  • santamommy
    Options
    Sometimes being dehydrated can make you gain water weight as can sickness like colds and flu, allergies etc....sometimes our bodies hold water to help repair muscles after heavy work outs...Ive gained 5 lbs in 24 hrs before but it always come back off..
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    This is why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day, your weigh fluctuates throughout the week.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself a few times a day, you will be shocked.
  • caitylynn62
    caitylynn62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't worry there is so much that can cause your weight to fluctuate! Mine has gone up and down 5 pounds before so don't worry!
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    As the others have said, it's perfectly normal to have your weight fluctuate up to 5lbs over the course of a day. That's the nice thing about entering your weight on this site, it gives you a chart of your weight allowing you to see the overall trend of weight loss, maintenance, or gain.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Water, waste, poor sleep... yep. I weigh daily, but I only count a gain if it stays on for 3+ days. Then I consider it a 'true' gain and not a fluctuation. It also gives me a chance to fix it before it becomes a permanent resident.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Surprisingly enough peoples weight fluctuates on a day to day basis. This is not a new fact either so I am always surprised by how many people are surprised by it. That is why weighing yourself daily is a bad idea. Weigh in once a week at the same time and go by that.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to gain up to 5 lbs in one day so don't beat yourself up about it. Weigh yourself once a week only! Don't let the weight fluctuations discourage you.
  • swobbles
    Options
    I've had the same trouble this week. Huge differences in my weight from one day to the next. Tuesday is the day I started on here, so from now on I'm going to weigh on that day and that day only, and at the same time every Tuesday. I have just been tormenting myself!
  • EnjoyEverything
    EnjoyEverything Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to weight yourself every day. Some people disagree. First of all, knowledge is power. It's no different for wrighing oneself. Second, those that say weight goes up and down daily 'cause of water are correct. Yet, they fail to reason that perhaps on your 'weekly' weigh in, that may just be the day your water weight increases. Art least daily weigh-ins, you get to know the trends much better. Nothing else changes buy having more data.

Weight will indeed vary considerably. However, look for trends, not just daily weight loss and gain.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I just needed a little support and 'been there done that' kind of talk. :)

I'm going to tell hubby to hide the scale till Friday.

Thanks again for your time, everyone. :)
  • teardrop4one
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, just to keep an eye on any skyrocketing weight gain, but only count the weight once a week. It is perfectly normal to go up a pound or two, just make sure you eat right and workout and the next day you should see it down again. Only count your weight once a week.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Many will use this as a reason to not weigh yourself everyday. I think they are the 'glass half empty' type people. You might just miss a day that is a pound and a half lower too!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh yourself everyday you need to do just that and follow your progress for a while before freaking out. Each day will vary and I like to know that, but it is your overall progress that counts.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Water, waste, poor sleep... yep. I weigh daily, but I only count a gain if it stays on for 3+ days. Then I consider it a 'true' gain and not a fluctuation. It also gives me a chance to fix it before it becomes a permanent resident.

Same here.
  • Portia4449
    Portia4449 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eliz, i so hear you,, did the same thing this morning and almost cried,,glad you asked the mfp peeps for the encouragement,, I used it too!..
    WE WILL SUCCEED
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's best to weigh yourself the same time every day. I weigh first thing in the morning, it's the most accurate time to weigh, you food in my system, naked on my scale lol. Our bodies can fluctuate 2lbs a day or more.