Eat before work out or after?

Options
I have seen some studies that say working out in the morning before you eat is best. What do you all think?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Trial and error... every body responds differently to diet and exercise. You have to figure out what works best for YOU.

Personally, I have better workouts in the morning, but I see more results working out at night.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's no One True Answer!

Many people find that "fasted cardio" e.g going for a run before breakfast works well. Others find that they feel faint or dizzy unless they've eaten a littel something beforehand.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it definitely depends on the person. Whether one is better or the other, it can't really matter that much in my opinion. It's more about what works best for the person, their schedule, etc. Personally, I am NOT a morning person. :laugh: So it is about impossible for me to get up early before work. I workout between 5 pm - 9 pm and I've been consistently losing for awhile now. Good Luck! :happy:
  • chynudol
    Options
    I like to eat before I work out. Not a heavy meal but something. I feel my body works better this way. I've tried not eating and I feel weak and light headed. Not sure if it's mental or what.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I feel incredibly light headed when I arrive at the office after cycling in when I have not eaten something first.

This tells me that my body requires fuel before I exercise.

Everyone's different though!
  • Katieladie40
    Options
    When i work out in the morning. I eat like a banana or something simple so that there's substance in my stomach for all the water i drink during the workout. Then i have a nice healthy breakfast with veggies and egg whites. It makes me feel good. Try doing different things for your morning workout. You'll find something that will suit you right. GOOD LUCK!
  • klynrn
    klynrn Posts: 1
    Options
    sometimes the change up of working out in the morning (either before or after a light breakfast) to evening helps when you hit a plateau, at least that is has been my experience.
  • jasonmeurer
    jasonmeurer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Both, for completely different reasons. Small calorie intake (amount depends on how long before your workout) prior for proper energy levels during your workout. Protein rich after for muscle recovery.
  • McKennaShephard
    Options
    I say eat before but dont work out right after you eat. If you eat before you work out, you could burn off all the calories you just ate and you could have energy to work out. But I always wait from 30 min. to 1 hour after I eat before I work out cause I get craps if I work out right after. Good luck on the weight loss!!! :)
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I always seem to perform better if I eat then work out about an hour after eating. I feel like I was able to get more done and I don't feel as dead afterwards if I had really pushed myself in a workout. But it depends on the person. Again, it's best to try both and see which works best for you.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I find that my workouts seem more energized and effective when I workout in the evening rather than the morning. I workout about 2 hours after eating so the food has time to settle. I have also learned that what you eat can make a big difference. Eating a sandwich or something that is high in carbs and protein and low in fat is better than something that is higher in fat.

It is also generally accepted that it's important to refuel after a workout as well with foods high in protein. I also aim for high potassium foods and drink plenty of water since this helps aid muscle repair.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are three ways of losing weight: 1) Eating less calories than you burn; 2) Burning off the fat through exercise; or 3) A combination of both. Must of us on MFP are eating less calories than we burn, so that leaves methods 2 and 3.

If you exercise before you eat breakfast, you are burning fat (method 2). If you exercise any other time of the day, you are burning the calories that you have recently ingested (which is essentially method 1). So it is entirely up to you as to what you want to do? Do you want to burn fat through exercise or through lowering your calorie intake?

Some people can't exercise until they have eaten because they need energy from food to support the exercise. Others can't do it because they get nauseous if they exercise on an empty stomach.

On the other hand, I can't exercise unless my stomach is nearly empty, because I will blow chunks on my treadmill. :) So I usually doing a walk in the morning before breakfast and then another before I eat dinner (methods 2 and 1, respectively). I usually record a loss of weight over 2 pounds a week by doing this.
  • NettyB62
    Options
    I have seen some studies that say working out in the morning before you eat is best. What do you all think?
    For ME..(I have no idea about others) I have to eat before AND after..otherwise I get really dizzy. Before going to work out I might have: 2 eggs scrambled with cut up turkey added toward the end and a bit of finely shredded cheese on top and drink 8 oz of skim milk. Then my "after" is a whey protein shake (wal mart) made with a banana and 1 cup skim milk.
    So far this is working for me...I don't get dizzy and light headed during my work out any more.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I would base this off of personal preference entirely. See how you perform in each scenario and how the rest of your day goes, and choose whichever is a better fit.
  • mpost12590
    mpost12590 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There are three ways of losing weight: 1) Eating less calories than you burn; 2) Burning off the fat through exercise; or 3) A combination of both. Must of us on MFP are eating less calories than we burn, so that leaves methods 2 and 3.

If you exercise before you eat breakfast, you are burning fat (method 2). If you exercise any other time of the day, you are burning the calories that you have recently ingested (which is essentially method 1). So it is entirely up to you as to what you want to do? Do you want to burn fat through exercise or through lowering your calorie intake?

Some people can't exercise until they have eaten because they need energy from food to support the exercise. Others can't do it because they get nauseous if they exercise on an empty stomach.

On the other hand, I can't exercise unless my stomach is nearly empty, because I will blow chunks on my treadmill. :) So I usually doing a walk in the morning before breakfast and then another before I eat dinner (methods 2 and 1, respectively). I usually record a loss of weight over 2 pounds a week by doing this.

I work out in the morning. I tend to eat a bowl of cereal after I work out. I try to work out three times a day. My goal is to loss 125 in a year. My short term goal is by March be down 20 lbs. In 2 weeks I have loss only 3 lbs. I am trying my best but wanted better results.. like maybe 5 lbs off of me by now. I will keep busting my butt and I know it will come off.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    Yes, there's no One True Answer!

Many people find that "fasted cardio" e.g going for a run before breakfast works well. Others find that they feel faint or dizzy unless they've eaten a littel something beforehand.

If I do not eat 30 mins after I work out I will get sick.
  • mpost12590
    Options

I would base this off of personal preference entirely. See how you perform in each scenario and how the rest of your day goes, and choose whichever is a better fit.

I will have to try both ways.
  • GetFitWilliams
    GetFitWilliams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning as soon as I get up because it fuels my energy for the rest of the day. Then I eat. We have a gym at work so I work out on my lunch break beofre I eat and then again before I go to bed. I try to get it in as much as I can and it seems to be working great for me, even though I be exhausted because Im not used to working out.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Working out 3 times a day? Firstly, how on earth do you find the time! You may be doing too much - what sort of exercise do you do?
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have to work out in the AM or it won't happen. Once my husband and son are awake it's crazy the rest of the day. So I get up around 4:30 to start working out (usually running).

I don't eat breakfast then until I get to work around 8am.

I have gone back and forth about eating 1/2 a banana or something before working out, but it doesn't help and actually makes me feel sick. Therefore I eat breakfast after I workout and typically 1 1/2 - 2 hours later.