God Bless the Avocado

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I never had avocado until I was over 40. And now I look at with an adoring "where have you been all my life" glint in my eye. I definitely have a "thing" for avocado! Several months ago I posted a question looking for avocado recipes and have since tried several of MFP recommendations. My favorite way to have it: half an avocado scooped into a bowl, top with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and cumin, then mush and stir with a fork and scoop it with wheat thins. HIGH FAT WARNING! Between the avocado and the olive oil, that's your MFP allowance. But I researched and avocado is full of the good fats, and has a lot of health benefits. Here are some of them:

(whfoods.com)
Although the creamy rich Hass avocados are generally available throughout the year, they are the most abundant and at their best during the spring and summer in California and in October in Florida. During the fall and winter months you can find Fuerto, Zutano and Bacon varieties.
The avocado is colloquially known as the Alligator Pear, reflecting its shape and the leather-like appearance of its skin. Avocado is derived from the Aztec word "ahuacatl".
Avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol. In one study of people with moderately high cholesterol levels, individuals who ate a diet high in avocados showed clear health improvements. After seven days on the diet that included avocados, they had significant decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, along with an 11% increase in health promoting HDL cholesterol.
Avocados are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Adequate intake of potassium can help to guard against circulatory diseases, like high blood pressure, heart disease or stroke. In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Association has authorized a health claim that states: "Diets containing foods that are good sources of potassium and low in sodium may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke."
One cup of avocado has 23% of the Daily Value for folate, a nutrient important for heart health. To determine the relationship between folate intake and heart disease, researchers followed over 80,000 women for 14 years using dietary questionnaires. They found that women who had higher intakes of dietary folate had a 55% lower risk of having heart attacks or fatal heart disease. Another study showed that individuals who consume folate-rich diets have a much lower risk of cardiovascular disease or stroke than those who do not consume as much of this vital nutrient.

(pyroenergen.com)
We believe that avocado originated in Mexico and Central America. However, today, in countries such as Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, USA, Sri Lanka, Brazil, India, China, Japan, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Chili, Ethiopia, Spain, Palestine, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Hawaii are planting and harvesting avocados. Oh, yes, you can plant it even in your backyard garden and it is adaptable as long as the climate does not go below 5°C during winter season.
In fact, I myself planted four avocado trees 25 years ago, and just a year ago, I added another two in my back yard. One tree bears about 200 pieces of fruit.
Avocado is one of the most recommended fruits as well as a food for bodybuilding and medicine for cholesterol-related heart disease.
Also do you know that avocado or an avocado extract is good for prevention or treatment of breast cancer as well as prostate cancer? Some information states that a toxin found in avocado is the answer to kill cancer cell. However, the toxin mentioned here is not identified completely. Scientists believe that the toxin has a great effect on the myocardium (heart muscle tissue) as well as on tissues of the lactating mammary gland.

Well, you get the idea. Hope you enjoyed the articles. If anyone has a recipe for incorporating avocado for breakfast, I'd love to see it!!!

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I never had avocado until I was over 40. And now I look at with an adoring "where have you been all my life" glint in my eye. I definitely have a "thing" for avocado! Several months ago I posted a question looking for avocado recipes and have since tried several of MFP recommendations. My favorite way to have it: half an avocado scooped into a bowl, top with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and cumin, then mush and stir with a fork and scoop it with wheat thins. HIGH FAT WARNING! Between the avocado and the olive oil, that's your MFP allowance. But I researched and avocado is full of the good fats, and has a lot of health benefits. Here are some of them:

(whfoods.com)
    Although the creamy rich Hass avocados are generally available throughout the year, they are the most abundant and at their best during the spring and summer in California and in October in Florida. During the fall and winter months you can find Fuerto, Zutano and Bacon varieties.
    The avocado is colloquially known as the Alligator Pear, reflecting its shape and the leather-like appearance of its skin. Avocado is derived from the Aztec word "ahuacatl".
    Avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol. In one study of people with moderately high cholesterol levels, individuals who ate a diet high in avocados showed clear health improvements. After seven days on the diet that included avocados, they had significant decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, along with an 11% increase in health promoting HDL cholesterol.
    Avocados are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Adequate intake of potassium can help to guard against circulatory diseases, like high blood pressure, heart disease or stroke. In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Association has authorized a health claim that states: "Diets containing foods that are good sources of potassium and low in sodium may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke."
    One cup of avocado has 23% of the Daily Value for folate, a nutrient important for heart health. To determine the relationship between folate intake and heart disease, researchers followed over 80,000 women for 14 years using dietary questionnaires. They found that women who had higher intakes of dietary folate had a 55% lower risk of having heart attacks or fatal heart disease. Another study showed that individuals who consume folate-rich diets have a much lower risk of cardiovascular disease or stroke than those who do not consume as much of this vital nutrient.

(pyroenergen.com)
    We believe that avocado originated in Mexico and Central America. However, today, in countries such as Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, USA, Sri Lanka, Brazil, India, China, Japan, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Chili, Ethiopia, Spain, Palestine, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Hawaii are planting and harvesting avocados. Oh, yes, you can plant it even in your backyard garden and it is adaptable as long as the climate does not go below 5°C during winter season.
    In fact, I myself planted four avocado trees 25 years ago, and just a year ago, I added another two in my back yard. One tree bears about 200 pieces of fruit.
    Avocado is one of the most recommended fruits as well as a food for bodybuilding and medicine for cholesterol-related heart disease.
    Also do you know that avocado or an avocado extract is good for prevention or treatment of breast cancer as well as prostate cancer? Some information states that a toxin found in avocado is the answer to kill cancer cell. However, the toxin mentioned here is not identified completely. Scientists believe that the toxin has a great effect on the myocardium (heart muscle tissue) as well as on tissues of the lactating mammary gland.

Well, you get the idea. Hope you enjoyed the articles. If anyone has a recipe for incorporating avocado for breakfast, I'd love to see it!!!