I really need weightlifting help--from step one!

Options
I have been walking the treadmill every day for the past week and a half, and I really want to integrate some weight training into my exercise. The problem is that I don't know that much about it...

If someone were to tell me to do lat pull downs or something, I wouldn't know what they were talking about. (That one happens to come to mind just because my husband was talking about me doing them... :embarassed: )

The other problem is that from carrying a huge purse for so many years, I put my back really out of alignment, and now I'm afraid of hurting myself, above and beyond the fear I already had about hurting myself from working out.

My husband would go with me, but one of us always has to stay with the kids while the other goes to the gym. Nobody who could babysit for us lives close enough to watch them while we both go.

I remember from high school gym class that you need to figure out your max and work at 60% of your max. Other than that, I'm clueless.

What I'd love, is if someone could recommend a beginners fitness website with pictures of weight training exercises to do, so that I could see the proper form, as well as the names of what these are called. Ideally, it would tell me what exercises go best together for optimum efficiency of toning.

Finally, my arms and shoulders are naturally "bulky", and I fear them becoming "mannish". I realize I won't become bodybuilder shape, and that that look is mainly steroid induced in most (of course not all) cases. However, I would like a sexy, slender upper body that is fit and toned...

Okay, enough of my life story LOL could someone direct me to a website like this?

OR if there is enough interest from other people here who are in the same boat and someone willing to lead us with pictures of the proper form, all the better!!

Thanks!

:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

(I feel like such a putz!)

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I have been walking the treadmill every day for the past week and a half, and I really want to integrate some weight training into my exercise. The problem is that I don't know that much about it...

If someone were to tell me to do lat pull downs or something, I wouldn't know what they were talking about. (That one happens to come to mind just because my husband was talking about me doing them... :embarassed: )

The other problem is that from carrying a huge purse for so many years, I put my back really out of alignment, and now I'm afraid of hurting myself, above and beyond the fear I already had about hurting myself from working out.

My husband would go with me, but one of us always has to stay with the kids while the other goes to the gym. Nobody who could babysit for us lives close enough to watch them while we both go.

I remember from high school gym class that you need to figure out your max and work at 60% of your max. Other than that, I'm clueless.

What I'd love, is if someone could recommend a beginners fitness website with pictures of weight training exercises to do, so that I could see the proper form, as well as the names of what these are called. Ideally, it would tell me what exercises go best together for optimum efficiency of toning.

Finally, my arms and shoulders are naturally "bulky", and I fear them becoming "mannish". I realize I won't become bodybuilder shape, and that that look is mainly steroid induced in most (of course not all) cases. However, I would like a sexy, slender upper body that is fit and toned...

Okay, enough of my life story LOL could someone direct me to a website like this?

OR if there is enough interest from other people here who are in the same boat and someone willing to lead us with pictures of the proper form, all the better!!

Thanks!

:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

(I feel like such a putz!)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net/

If you really want to work on your arms, do pushups. The great thing about pushups, is that not only are you toning your arms, but you are also working your core, your back, shoulder, etc.
  • usreek
    usreek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone get the iFitness App. It has pictures of exercises for weight training as well.
  • Stacey82
    Stacey82 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...no clue where to start, or how! I have a gazelle that I use almost daily, I have Wii Fit that I use 3-4 days a week (I don't do all of the exercises, it was a little too much for me!), and I've started the two hundred sit ups challenge. Outside of this I have no idea what I should be doing, but I know I need to find different things to do so that I'm not always doing the same things.

I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is usually out of town all week, so I don't have a gym membership. It's quite difficult to find a sitter that's willing to do the running around required with school functions, sports, after school activities and all the other stuff putting three kids in different places. That being said, if anyone could help with things I can do to help with toning at home it would be much appreciated!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/l/blbegstrength.htm

There are lots more. I googled "strength training exercises for beginners.":flowerforyou:
  • nerveracker
    Options
    There are many programs out there you guys.. Many are very structured with Diet/nutrition and exercise. I am doing the P90X program by BeachBody www.beachbody.com I will also integrating some of the training from the Bodylastics www.bodlylastics.com with/after my P90X work outs. 2 VERY effective programs for not a ton of money and they don't require very much space like a home gym or a full set of dumbbells would/do. My advice is get something like Bodylastics or some B-Lines or some type of resistance bands (as good and in a lot of cases better than acutal weights) Stay away from the el cheapos like at wal-mart they have a tendancy to break pretty easy. But get yourself in a structured program. Slim in 6 is a good one P90 for starting out. P90X if ya want to kill yourself :laugh: Or if you want to go big time and go for the gusto, go for ChaLean Extreme She'll whip ya into shape. or any type of structured workout that uses resistance/weight training and cardio is best to get the overall effect. I like the bands because they're more compact, lighter to carry around (especially going on vacation carry your DVD's and bands not much room there!) and you can get a full workout right from your livingroom/bedroom and don't have to worry about the baby sitter or anything else.. You just have to want to push play every day.
  • SallyAnn
    SallyAnn Posts: 43
    Options
    Check with your gym. Most gyms offer a free "learn to use the equipment" class. If not, get a session with a trainer tell them your goal is to get a routine and learn to use the equipment.

If nothing else, use the machines they have pictures on them and instructions. Start slow.

Use a weight that you can do 3 sets of 8 -12 reps. When you can do 12 reps up the weight. If you can not do 8 reps lower the weight.

Push ups are a great at home/park exercise. Start on your knees if needed. If you can not do them on your knees.....stand up and do them against the wall.

P.S. The female body will not bulk up and look male.......so you can GRADUALLY work up to heavier weights
  • hilmes
    hilmes Posts: 2
    Options
    I really like Cathe Friedrich dvd's. I own Muscle Max and Core Max. I ordered mine from Amazon. If you have Directv, you can catch her on there.