Why does eating breakfast make me hungry before lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• tataliciousd89
    Options
    Bulk up your oatmeal. Add some nuts and make it with milk. Also add some chopped fruit for more fiber. Instant oatmeal has less fiber than other forms of oatmeal. Add some raisins, apples, berries, dried cranberries or some banana.

Absolutely. This is what works for me. Find some good protein powder and use just a tiny bit and that helps as well. Beyond that,
    I just always get hungrier throughout the day when i eat breakfast, but it does get better eventually. your body just has to adjust to the change.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I find a bowl of Porridge, (oatmeal), keeps me fed until lunch time.

Mix it with seeds / dried fruit to make it interesting, or a trickle of Honey.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here... have a hard boiled egg right alongside your oatmeal... you'll be stuffed until lunch.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as you, and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, even if it's protein. I'm not hungry in the morning unless I eat breakfast. So after trying and testing different breakfasts, I decided to listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry. Which usually means I don't eat until 12. I've lost a lot of weight like this, and I'm just thinking of it at being mindful eating instead of eating at prescribed times.
    Good luck!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as you, and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, even if it's protein. I'm not hungry in the morning unless I eat breakfast. So after trying and testing different breakfasts, I decided to listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry. Which usually means I don't eat until 12. I've lost a lot of weight like this, and I'm just thinking of it at being mindful eating instead of eating at prescribed times.
    Good luck!

I'm the same way! I started bringing my breakfast to work with me, and eating it when I got hungry (around 9 ish, my day starts at 5am, at my desk for 6:30am). If i'm so inclined, I'll have a very light cereal/milk bowl before work, but that's rare.
  • RickYahr
    RickYahr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advise guys. Today I had one egg and one piece of whole wheat toast with a glass of skim milk. I was full when I was finished eating and now at 11:43 am I am just starting to feel like lunch hit the spot at noon!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    its a complete myth that eating breakfast "reves up the metabolism" and what not! if you dont want to eat breakfast, then heck dont eat it! in fact you could even benefit from intermitant fasting where you fast 16hours and have an 8 hour eating window; basically you could for example stop eating at 8pm and then eat your first meal at 12. this has helped a lot of people lose fat, etc!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, do not eat. (Unless there is an eating disorder involved)

Sleeping raises certain hormones in the body that will naturally make you not feel hungry. Upon awaking, these hormones slowly go down to normal level (designed to ensure you sleep through the nigh and not wake up in the middle of sleep for food, doesn't always work he he). When you eat, these hormones more quickly return to normal levels.

So, eating then results in hunger later on, as the hormones were lowered quickly at the beginning of the day.

For me, I wake up at 5am, and if I eat at 6am, I am hungry by 9am. If I do not eat, I am hungry around 11am. Not eating meant these hormones were still slightly elevated at 9am, preventing me from being hungry.

This is one of the various ways hormones can play on your behavior.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I need to have some protein at breakfast (two eggs, or an egg and some bacon/salmon) or I am starving tout suit. An apple and a little stick of cheese/a spoon of pb/some yogurt round 11 keeps me going til lunch pretty good, without having to crunch away for ages. Hot drinks (herbal tea) and plenty of water help too.
  • kevseb66
    kevseb66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I can totally relate. If I eat breakfat I am so freakin hungry by lunch time that sometimes I'm jittery & get light headed. I found I'm much less hungry period when I eat one big meal for dinner with no breakfast, lunch or snacks.