big pet peeve with added ingrediants

Options
i can not stand how you go to buy something and it always has sugar added to it! and usally the "all natural" (no sugar added) varieties cost more. i bought some cranberries and dried blueberries so i could make some breakfast cookies for my toddler and of course you can not find any dried anything that does not have added ingredients to it. there was one brand of applesauce that did not have added sugar. i ran out of veggies for my son one day and just ran to the corner store and grabbed him some canned peas till last till i made a trip to our reg grocery store and the peas had ingredient 1 peas and ingrediant 2 sugar! i was like really! now i make sure to read every lable if i buy i diff brand than normal since i never would have dreamed that sugar would be added to peas.

luckily i have a food dehydrator. and my parents gave us a chest freezer for christmas so now i have room to store food. this summer i am going to go crazy dehydrating blueberries, strawberries, etc.....so i can use it for baking and not have the added sugars. i just did a small batch of banans, blueberries, cherry's, and cranberries but had to wait till i made it to a store that carried the cranberries and had berries at a reasonable price. i'll be making anohter batch of breakfast cookies in the next day or two can't wait to use the things i dehydrated.

also we have not had to buy jerky in over a year since we bought the dehydrator. we hunt and have an endless suppy of deer meat so we make it when it's wanted and can make what ever flavor we are craving.

Replies

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree! I was VASTLY irritated at Kroger this weekend when it was virtually impossible to find chicken without an added 15% chicken broth. In their fresh chicken! NASTY!
  • sanweb
    sanweb Posts: 6
    Options
    Thats crazy! I never realized that. I'll have to look at the ingredients way more closly. Thats great that you have a dehydrator! Good Idea about the meat too. My hubs wants to start hunting and I was thinking holy crap thats going to be alot of meat! haha
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i can't stand when you buy a protein bar thinking it's low carb/low sugar and then finding out it has sugar alcohol which causes GI problems... not cool at all.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I used to buy canned beans a lot until I realized that almost all of them had added high fructose corn syrup or sugar. And the ones with no additives were twice as much money. So I just use dried beans now. It's a lot more prep work but at least I don't have to deal with the HFCS crap.
  • Poohbear_Princess
    Options
    I hope this isn't a silly questions.....so when you dehydrate your fruit like that, it would be the same calories as the hydrated fruit correct? There's nothing added.....
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Why reading labels was important and eating 'whole' foods better!
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hope this isn't a silly questions.....so when you dehydrate your fruit like that, it would be the same calories as the hydrated fruit correct? There's nothing added.....

correct. it just sucks out all the mositure i do not sweeten them with anything. you can rehydrate them for plump berries in baked goods by soaking them just in water. but 2 packages of blueberries dehydrates down to two handfulls so you can not eat as much like 1/2 cup would have to eat half.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thats crazy! I never realized that. I'll have to look at the ingredients way more closly. Thats great that you have a dehydrator! Good Idea about the meat too. My hubs wants to start hunting and I was thinking holy crap thats going to be alot of meat! haha

i am perfectly happy without eating meat. but hubby likes it. so he is set for the year. we get most of it ground and freeze it then jerky it as he wants it. deer is very lean. and no steriods or anything :)