Hi! I'm Shannon!

Hi everybody! I have been using MFP for over a year, but haven't really paid much attention to what I was eating. I am now REALLY watching my calories. My highest weight was 176, and I'm now down to 155, so that's a start! I developed postpartum Hashimoto's disease after the birth of my son in August 2010, and getting the weight off has been a horrific challenge. I only gained 22 pounds while pregnant, and immediately lost back down to 152 after giving birth. Of course, this is very common with postpartum Hashimoto's. You have a short period of "hyperthyroid" symptoms, then the thyroid just quits. When the baby was about 3 months old the weight just PILED back on, 24 pounds in two months!!! It was insane! I still battle with it now just to get one pound off.

Anyway! The good stuff! I like to run, so that is my exercise of choice. My running partner and I were up to six miles, three-four days per week when my thyroid went all wonky. After that, I couldn't run at all. It just hurt too much. We are now running again, and we're back up to two miles per run, and are planning a 5K race in March. I can't wait! I love this sport!

Sometimes the will to stay on my diet is a killer. My doctor has me on a very low calorie diet right now, but it will only be about three more weeks and I'll be on a 1200-1500 calorie diet. I have cut out all sugars and starches, which has been tough! (I want a Coke so bad right now I could DIE!)

Is there anyone else out there struggling with Hashimoto's? I'd love to hear your stories! I live in Arkansas, and would love to have some friends to support and to be supported!