Eating Pho today....what's a good calorie-conscious order?

I've never really eaten it before and am lost as to what I should order. I'm really trying to stay within my calories today...help??

Replies

• What is Pho??
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Pho is a vietnamese soup...It's awesome!

I was really surprised by the calorie content and carbs in a bowl of soup...haven't had it in awhile :(
  • vac822
    vac822 Posts: 1
    According to the MFP food database, calories are in the range of 300-700. I'm thinking the chicken pho would be your best bet (though I think beef pho taste way better). Just make sure you don't slurp up all the broth (too much sodium!) Also, pay attention to how many noodles they serve (it can vary at each Pho spot).
  • lalawokker
    lalawokker Posts: 2 Member
    I normally do the seafood soup and try not to eat all the noodles...maybe half. Gets you to around 400 calorie range.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I've never really eaten it before and am lost as to what I should order. I'm really trying to stay within my calories today...help??

Pho Ga or a Veggie Pho would prob be the lowest cal, but if it's your first time eating it, don't worry about cals and choose which ever one sounds the best to you and get on track tomrrow
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Pho is super light. If the restaurant is accomodating, ask them to sub extra veggies for the noodles and you're golden. You don't really have to worry about calories.

ps - you'll LOVE it! Don't know if you're in a cold-weather climate, but pho is the best lunch on a dreary winter day.
  • I love Pho!!! Being a pescaterian, I usually only get it with tofu or seafood. And although it's not as fun, at most places you can order it without the vermicelli noodles if you're watching carbs.

Edit: Yes, what Alexandria said above! :)
  • I love Pho. I would say, order it with the beef brisket or thinly sliced beef, and forgo the beef balls. Add bean sprouts and dip the meat in Sriracha!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Just watch your portion. A small bowl isn't so small! Eat half of it and take the rest home for later.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Pho is amazing! The lowest calorie would be chicken and only eat half! They give you a TON of delicious noodles and I always seem to gobble up the whole bowl! Add all the extras, basil, peppers & sprouts. It will fill you up, no need for spring rolls etc.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    According to the MFP food database, calories are in the range of 300-700. I'm thinking the chicken pho would be your best bet (though I think beef pho taste way better). Just make sure you don't slurp up all the broth (too much sodium!) Also, pay attention to how many noodles they serve (it can vary at each Pho spot).

Or you make this from scratch and DONT use MFP's listing... Build a recipe up.

Fresh chicken stock
    mung beans
    thai basil leaves
    cilantro
    microgreens
    thinly sliced white onions
    finely sliced carrots and celery
    shaved dried shrimp flakes (the place I go to I have to order extra of this)
    fresh thick sliced cucumber
    fresh sliced tomato
    paper-thin sliced chicken (or beef), can also add fresh shrimp

There are low-carb vietnamese noodles on the market... you just have to go to an Asian food store to grab them. Otherwise either try shirataki angel hair tofu-noodles or go noodle-free.

Keep your hot sauces-of choice on the side...

I make Pho homemade all the time and it is never salty thanks to making everything from scratch and using a fresh made stock.. and its extremely calorie safe too
  • i love pho!!! i think the biggest thing you have to worry about are the noodles. most places have different size bowls, so ordering the smaller size would be a good idea. and maybe not eating all the noodles, like everyone said. but my advice is, if you hardly eat out like I do, then just enjoy it =) pho is pretty healthy to begin with, anyway.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    salad rolls!! minimal dipping sauce!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Pho Ga or a Veggie Pho would prob be the lowest cal, but if it's your first time eating it, don't worry about cals and choose which ever one sounds the best to you and get on track tomrrow

I didn't check the date of this post but if you haven't ordered yet, please listen to Acg on this. Pho is incredible and you should get whatever you think sounds great!

Don't forget to add Hoisin sauce and Sriracha.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Mmmmmmmmm Pho!!!!! I agree with the above posters who said try whatever you think sounds good and get on track tomorrow. I love Pho.. it's like, the cure for everything!