I am 3 weeks into lifestyle change and have a question -

Options
I have so far lost 8lbs and am very proud of my accomplishment.

However, I am wondering if most eat their exercise (workout) calories?

edited to add another question -

In the past when I have logged my exercise and "eat back" my calories, I ALWAYS wind up going over on protein. Is this a bad thing?

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of responses.

Mine is - do what works best for your body.

My mom has lost 94 pounds eating back all of her exercise calories. However my body won't lose an ounce if I eat them back (exceptions include days where there is extreme exercise... like an entire day snowboarding). Try different things and see what works best for you! Just make sure you are getting enough of the nutrients you need.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You should be proud - congrats!!!

I probably eat half my exercise calories. They usually end up being my evening snack as I'm hungry before bed sometimes. From what I can tell, many MFPers say to eat your exercise calories - particularly if having trouble losing weight. Not to mention you need the fuel if you are working out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so you do, if you don't there is a good chance that a lot of your loss will be from lean muscle, not just fat.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    yes
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have so far lost 8lbs and am very proud of my accomplishment.

However, I am wondering if most eat their exercise (workout) calories?
    Yes, to fail to eat back your exercise calories will sabotage your progress.

Simply stated MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week. That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up. Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories. Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be? In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more. Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.
    Be efficient. Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • sunflowerjesss
    sunflowerjesss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

So here is my next question. In the past when I have logged my exercise and "eat back" my calories, I ALWAYS wind up going over on protein. Is this a bad thing?
  • Kristin9902
    Kristin9902 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im sure you will get a lot of answers...but coming from a medical professional who asked several different medical providers this question...the answer was the same...eating back the calories you have burned defeats the purpose of working out.
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    I say yes. I try very hard to eat most of my exercise calories back.
    In general, your net calories at the end of the day should be above 1200.

But, everyone is different.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Two days a week I play rugby, so I end up gaining over 1000 calories from that one workout. Usually because of that I eat almost all of them back because I sometimes get a negative net calorie

But on days where I'm just doing a workout like running on the treadmill or just doing something at the gym I usually only eat half of them back, but not all of them.

Congratulations on the weight loss!:flowerforyou:
  • yopie1965
    yopie1965 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 70 with MFP and have yet to eat any calories back. I'm down 22lbs, its slow and steady. Do what feels right! Somedays you may want to and other day's you just can't eat another thing......stay true to you!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Agree with your first responder. Do what works for you. If I eat my exercise cals I start to regain weight.
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    Im sure you will get a lot of answers...but coming from a medical professional who asked several different medical providers this question...the answer was the same...eating back the calories you have burned defeats the purpose of working out.

Really? I find that surprising seeing that SO many people have success with losing weight by eating back their exercise calories.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, it's all up to the individual and what works for them.

That being said: I'll eat my exercise calories only if, with exercise, I'm under 1200 cals/day. Because most of my exercise is at night, if I'm under, I'll make a smoothie to bring my calorie count back up.

but again, it's what works for you!
  • jeff261159
    Options
    Its a very contentious subject. Ask yourself this. If you exercise 500 calories, then eat back 500 extra calories, your net calorie intake/burn is zero, so what's the point of doing the exercise!!!
    Personally I use the burned off calories as a buffer should I need the. I usually eat into them but very rarely eat them all back!! People on here will give you lots of different opinions, I'm no expert, but what I do works for me.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It depends. Usually, I eat back about half. I find I'm also hungrier the days I've exercised, so it's great to have them available.

I do go over on protein and frequently carbs when I do this, but that's to be expected. Those values would have been calculated based on your normal day, not taking into account your exercise. I also go over on water when I exercise. I kinda figure those are all good things for those days as long as I'm making reasonable choices. (Hopefully not eating chocolate cake to fill the extra calories!)

I've had great success with this formula... eating back 1/2 of my exercise cals if I'm hungry, not eating them back if I'm not hungry, and even eating all of them back if I'm *really* hungry. I am an RN, to boot, and our group generally tells people to eat back up to 3/4 of exercise calories. We do not feel this defeats the purpose of exercise... we feel the purpose of exercise is to strengthen and tone your body, boost your metabolism - a byproduct that will actually BURN calories more efficiently.

With that said, you'll have to experiment with what works or you.

Best of luck!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

So here is my next question. In the past when I have logged my exercise and "eat back" my calories, I ALWAYS wind up going over on protein. Is this a bad thing?

No--MFP's protein "goal" is pretty low.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein is just fine.

As far as the exercise calories goes, it depends on your body. In my case, I know that I have to net 1500-1600 calories in order to keep burning fat, so I absolutely have to eat my exercise calories. Other people don't have to eat them. Just experiment a little to see what works best for you.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only eat back enough of the exercise calories so that I'm netting 1200 - 1400 cals, also I ALWAYS go over my protein, regardless of exercise cals or not, if you're doing strength training your body needs the protein to help repair itself, unless you're like eating like 3 - 4x what they are suggesting I wouldn't worry too much about the protein, but if it's a major concern for you then I'd speak to your doctor and ask them what they think.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    From some reading that I've done, MFP sets the protein % fairly low so going over should not be considered a negative.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If i'm hungry I eat them... If i'm not.. I don't

I also don't have a heart rate monitor so I'm not exactly sure how many calories I burn. If I eat them I only eat about half back that way I'm not overeating.