Protein???

Options
Just a question regarding how much protein you should have. I am usually on target with my calorie goal for the day. As far as being on target with the carbs and fats goal, I am usually right on, or slightly under. When I look at my protein goal, I am usually over by 20 grams or so. Is this bad? I don't know if I should be reducing my protein intake? If I don't reduce that intake, what could happen? My proteins are not red meat, or even really fatty things it is usually turkey, chicken, some cheese, eggs, etc........ Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Just a question regarding how much protein you should have. I am usually on target with my calorie goal for the day. As far as being on target with the carbs and fats goal, I am usually right on, or slightly under. When I look at my protein goal, I am usually over by 20 grams or so. Is this bad? I don't know if I should be reducing my protein intake? If I don't reduce that intake, what could happen? My proteins are not red meat, or even really fatty things it is usually turkey, chicken, some cheese, eggs, etc........ Thanks for your help!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have found that the protein % is low on this site. You can change your % for carbs, fat and protein.:smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I had the same concern when I started and I do not bother with the % that the machine gives us. It isnt close for me and for you, I would get more info and wait till you decrease protein,,,,alot of factors are considrered and you should not cut back until you get specific info
    hth
    Dave
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    20 grams won't be horrible for you. generally between 12 and 35% is considered fine. People trying to build muscle sometimes take in more (along with more carbs too, for a variety of reasons I won't go into here). It's not a line in the sand, you can go over a little and it's not a problem.

It's generally considered safe to have anywhere from 12% to 35% of your daily intake come from protein. Some recommend more, but most follow this guideline. MFP sets it at 15%, which I find to be a tad low for most people who incorporate moderate to highly active aerobic workouts and add in weight training or resistance at least once a week. but that's just my humble opinion, others follow different routes, which is fine, but I would recommend staying within the 12 to 35% range at least.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Protein is awesome and I eat a lot of it. :smile:

Generally it's recommended that menstruating women get 55 to 65 g of protein a day. Lots of diet & nutrition experts recommend that dieters get more in order to minimize muscle loss, as much as 70 g a day.

Plus protein "sticks" with you longer than carbs and so having protein-based snacks can help combat hunger pangs.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

MFP is only a basic guide ..I sometimes go over what is posted here but I stay within my daily requirments set by my nutritionist
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

MFP is only a basic guide ..I sometimes go over what is posted here but I stay within my daily requirments set by my nutritionist
    Ditto:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I stay within my daily requirements set by my doctor.and sometimes I go over my protein too I don't believe it will hurt you.
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I figured it was just a guideline, so I didn't take it too seriously. Just didn't know if having too much would do anything about weight loss. Thanks for the info though....helps a lot!