When you know better, you do better...

Options
Oprah always said this, and I'm having my "AhhHaa" moment this week after reading a LOT of posts, articles, etc from this site. I've been running like crazy, expecting to lose weight and slim and tone while eating a calorie deficit. I never lasted longer than a few months(and the longest was because of a vacation to motivate me.) I thought I KNEW how to lose weight, but after several starts and stops and weight loss challenges on another private board, I have FINALLY realized that I was insane--doing the same thing expecting a different result.
I'm running a 1/2 marathon in September. I had originally planned to just run. Then I thought "I'll add weight training this time and see how it goes." Then I read more. Maybe I should just lift? Maybe I should do running MWF and weights TTH? Then I read about HIIT and saw the nerdfitness article about Staci. Read about how HIIT gets better results than regular aerobic exercise and weights are better yet.
So I now KNOW better. So now it is time to DO better. So I'm going to do HIIT and heavy lifting for 8 weeks. I'm ditching the running shoes and going to go hard at this. After those 8 weeks, I'll add running in to be sure I have endurance to run my race, but I will no longer be a slave to running alone. I have too many friends who can run 8, 10, 13.1 miles, but they are still FAT and unhappy with their bodies, wondering why they have only lost 5 lbs and are still flabby. I am going to be the one to break the cycle of working hard with little benefit. I want to work hard and less hours and have a greater benefit.
Anyone who has tips on HIIT or heavy lifting-give me your best tips here. I'm gonna need them, but I am determined to stop the insane behavior and use my time to REALLY burn fat and get FIT.