Fiber

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I have an issue getting fiber in. I have thought about getting some of those powders to put in my drinks to try and help with this.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    Options
    I have an issue getting fiber in. I have thought about getting some of those powders to put in my drinks to try and help with this.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. What I do now is plan a Fiber One or Fiber Plus granola bar for my morning snack.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    Fiber Choice - Sugar Free Strawberry Chewable Tablets find them at the Pharmacy
    good luck
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    are you eating whole grains, fruits, vegetables. I like the brownberry double fiber bread. I eat one slice toasted for breakfast and usually on slice for a sandwich with lunch. That's 12 g right there. Apples & bananas are 3. Plus I eat vegies. The fiber one bars are 9g.
    I try to get as much as I can through food. I'm usually between 25-30 but some days even higher.
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    If you really need to add fiber to your diet you could get psyllium. It's tasteless, inexpensive and easy to find. Add it to water or yogurt.

Whole Foods-
    You really should be getting your fiber through food though; and different fibers at that. Vegetable fibers are not the same as fruit fibers which are not the same as the fiber found in whole grains. Avoid white bread as much as possible and incorporate ground flax seed into your diet in the same way you would the psyllium. Flax has omega 3s which are extremely important (it's also important to take a fish oil (an EPA and DHA omega 3), but that is another subject) and is an excellent source of fiber (avoid putting it in dairy products though, which should also be a minimal part of your diet).

It's important to remember that food, as opposed to supplements, is always the best source for the nutrients that are necessary to a healthy body. When isolating nutrients, we tend to forget about the other beneficial things we get in food and end up taking a whole whack of supplements that not only would easily be found in whole foods but would also complement each other better than in isolation.
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    I eat whole grain bread I should check to see how much fiber is in that. I also eat veggies everynight at supper time. I do need to get more fruits in my diet however its so hard sometimes because they go bad so quickly. Thank you so much for advice. :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about fruits going bad. Since my daughters have both left home I'm the only fruit eater. I try to buy enough for a few days or a week. I like frozen vegies and blueberries but other fruits I don't care for frozen.
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    I have actually grown to the taste of frozen veggies. Those steamers are wonderful. I love frozen strawberrys but I love to eat apples and bananas. I will just have to start going to the store once a week when I'm in town just pick up enough for a week. I can't wait till watermelon comes back into season. Yummo