Hard time eating all "healthy" calories

Options
eve7166
eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
So is anyone having a hard time eating all the calories when eating healthy? Maybe Im doing somethin wrong..someone posted about this the other day and they had a rude comment "what did you forget how to eat?" i mean its was easy to get in 2000 eating taco bell or mc donalds or whatever when 1 meal alone is about half of that...but now im at 1200 and i cant seem to get enough unless i eat something bad like a cookie or whatever..any suggestions?

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Nuts/nut butter, avocado, a cup of chocolate milk or alternative?

Pam
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Or just make sure you hit your macros, then eat whatever you fancy. :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Nuts/nut butter, avocado, a cup of chocolate milk or alternative?

Pam

^^this. a teaspoon of peanut butter or olive oil has around 100 cals, 25g of nuts has 200, a small avocado has about 100! it soon adds up if you can add these.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had that problem in the past. Maybe you are being a bit too strict in your diet. Your body needs carbs and fats, so don't go too low on those.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Can you just eat larger portions of whatever you're already eating? Start by adding more food (calories) for breakfast.

If you're buying low fat or "light" versions of food (milk, cottage cheese, salad dressings, cheese, yogurt, etc.) you could buy a version with more calories.

Is there a certain macro (carbs, protein, fat) that you're consistently under?

Carbs: oatmeal, quinoa, whole wheat bread, low-sugar (<6 grams per serving) cereal, barley, beans (pinto, black, garbanzo, etc.), more fruit & vegetables
    Protein: larger portions of meat, dairy, eggs, cheese
    Fat: olive oil, raw nuts, ground flaxseed (add to almost anything), peanut butter, cheese
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough protein and fat, everything is fair game.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy." There is more to health than eating a lot of vegetables. There are plenty of high calorie healthy foods. Anything with unsaturated fats like nuts or oils is high calorie, but good for you. Meats can be high calorie, but full of protein.

You also don't have to eat only "healthy" foods all the time. You can have ice cream, pizza, and tacos and still lose weight. What matters is eating at your calorie goal.
  • dizzyblondegirlie
    Options
    I'm exactly the same!! I'm a 1200 calorie peep. I have 400 cals left to spend today and I am stuffed! Of course I could eat 400 cals of crap but I kinda don't want to! what to do?
  • winchester417
    Options
    100 calorie snacks
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your last few days I would say add in fruit and veggies and some lean proteins. I have no problem getting 1200 on a low carb/high protein diet. My day usually looks like this:

Breakfast: eggs with cheese and/or sausage or ham
    Morning Snack: 1 oz nuts
    Lunch: Lean protein leftovers from the night before and a simple salad of greens and cherry tomatoes with light balsamic dressing
    Afternoon Snack: 2 Sargento light mozzarella sticks with a can of low sodium v8 juice
    Dinner: salad with lots of veggies, 1/2 oz goat cheese and 1/2 svg of Light Ranch dressing, serving of fruit and whatever protein dish I make that evening.

Sometimes I'll have another fruit throughout the day if I'm craving sweets!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    yumm imma buy some avocadoes..thanks for the tips... not big on nuts or penutbutter... i am trying to eat low carbs and healthy fats... so its been hard to figure out the right balance.. today ive eaten alot of fruit so im above my carbs but atleast its fruit
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same!! I'm a 1200 calorie peep. I have 400 cals left to spend today and I am stuffed! Of course I could eat 400 cals of crap but I kinda don't want to! what to do?

2tbsp of peanut butter on toast. Healthy, but it adds up.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I definitely am having that issue. Some days I'm 500 or more calories short after exercise.
  • cheercoach11
    cheercoach11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I feel like i am eating A LOT, just making better choices, but I always come in under....especially if I exercise!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, nuts and avocados.
    And I've also been on a SMOOTHIE kick the last two weeks. It's so easy to bump up that smoothie with lots of good-for-you foods like bananas, peanut butter, protein powder, flax etc. I had a 500 calorie smoothie for lunch Sunday. I really didn't feel like having a meal, so I had that instead. It was delicious and filling. :smile:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Low calorie does not mean healthy, and high calorie does not automatically mean unhealthy. There are plenty of high calorie healthy foods you can eat to help you get to your goal. Eating healthy fats are one of the easiest ways to get you to your calorie goal, like avocados, unsalted nuts, and natural nut butters. Also, cooking with EVOO will easily help you get to your calorie goal. Don't be afraid of fats! Fat doesn't make you fat! Don't go for the low fat and non fat foods either. Best of luck to you.