Urge to eat before bed

Options
I have been eating between 1200 and 1320 calories each day for about 2 weeks straight-always a net of 1200 or less with exercise. I had been doing it off and on, but kinda got off track over the holidays. For the past 4 days, I have found that I simply cannot sleep without having something fresh in my belly. Literally, I will try to sleep. My tummy will be growling, and finally after 2 hours in bed at around midnight or 1, I will grab a hard boiled egg and will then finally be able to fall asleep. This didn't used to happen. I used to be able to eat at 8pm and have no problem. Has this happened to anybody else after restricting their calories for a while? If so, will it go away soon? For me, the problem when I am eating so few calories is to budget in that late night snack.

Replies

• ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    sometimes, especially if you are down to a lower weight and have put on muscle, 1200-1320 will not be enough for you. try upping your calories by 100 or so and see if it still happens. If you really got off track in the holiday season, then it could be just because you are used to eating way more than that.

That's whats going on with me lately. I used to always eat about 1300-1350 calories but over the holidays I ate probably about 2000, so now at night I struggle. but I am starting to re-adjust. If it keeps happening though you may need to up your calories.

Hope that helps.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    will it go away soon?

As soon as you fix up your diet. Your macros may be off or your calories too low or both.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have an idea...
    Eat the egg BEFORE going to bed that way you get 2 more hours of sleep instead of tossing and turning for 2 hours before eating it....
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have an idea...
    Eat the egg BEFORE going to bed that way you get 2 more hours of sleep instead of tossing and turning for 2 hours before eating it....

Well, its not in my calorie budget and I only do it out of desperation.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem when I first started losing weight. To fix it, I held back a snack until I was literally about to brush my teeth and head to bed. I kept it light but just eating something then seemed to help me. I figured it doesn't really matter too much when you eat in the day, especially something so small like bread and butter or a biscuit.
  • RieBerg
    Options
    I used to have that problem when I first started losing weight. To fix it, I held back a snack until I was literally about to brush my teeth and head to bed. I kept it light but just eating something then seemed to help me. I figured it doesn't really matter too much when you eat in the day, especially something so small like bread and butter or a biscuit.

How long until this problem went away?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have an idea...

Well, its not in my calorie budget and I only do it out of desperation.

An egg is what, 70 or 90 calories. It is not going to make or break you one way or the other. If that is what you need, then do it.
  • kevbot34
    Options
    I agree with the need for more calories. Another thing is, since all the holidays, your body wants that extra treat. For me I view it as a mental thing. Having wrestled in high school, my body was always wanting more food and energy. When I wanted to eat, it was all about not wanting to. I feel your pain with being hungry before you sleep, but you just gotta fight it and know that once you fall asleep, you can eat when you wake up.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also to add, if you are desperate for food, you may want to re-evaluate your current diet. If you are miserable (and I would consider being kept awake by hunger miserable), then you aren't going to stay with it. Lower your weight loss goals if you have to. Taking longer to lose weight is better than ended up quitting because it is not maintainable. Or exercise a bit more and eat those calories, whatever you need to do.

What is your MFP suggested intake? Are you eating some or all of your exercise calories?
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you exercise for the extra calories you may find your body more tired and ready for sleep. I think an egg wont break you though have it before you go to bed. Rest and sleep are also important for your body
  • RieBerg
    Options
    Also to add, if you are desperate for food, you may want to re-evaluate your current diet. If you are miserable (and I would consider being kept awake by hunger miserable), then you aren't going to stay with it. Lower your weight loss goals if you have to. Taking longer to lose weight is better than ended up quitting because it is not maintainable. Or exercise a bit more and eat those calories, whatever you need to do.

What is your MFP suggested intake? Are you eating some or all of your exercise calories?

I am now set for 1200 calories a day to lose 0.9 pounds per week. I usually end up between 1250 to 1320 calories and I work out every day, doing 30 day shred that burns about 190 calories. Isn't it true that your body wants to stay the same weight, so you get hungry when you are cutting calories until it gets past that set point? I am hoping that in about a month, my body will give in and realize it needs to lose weight, thus stop making me feel hungry all the time.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm drinking extra water, and when I lay down I know what kind of night it's going to be. I take 5mg melatonin, completely all natural and even recommended by my sleep doctor just to help you fall asleep faster.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How long until this problem went away?

It took about 2-3 months for me to be able to stop, just until my body realised it was going to be fed in the morning and should stop trying to eat so late in the evening.
  • RieBerg
    Options
    I upped my calories to 1300, and last night I was able to sleep!