Emotional Eating

Options
I'm an emotional eater. When I'm stressed, nervous, bored, whatever, I eat. I joined this site a year ago and lost about five pounds in three months, got frustrated that I wasn't losing faster and ate back all I had lost in about two weeks. Since then, I've been struggling with trying to get it under control and lose again, but I'm now about three pounds heavier than I was at this time last year. I know it's entirely because I'm an emotional eater. I enjoy exercising, and I'd have no problems sticking to my calorie allotment otherwise. If you can relate to this, please let me know what you do to soothe yourself other than eat. I've tried several things -- exercise, chewing gum, etc. -- but nothing seems to stick.

Replies

• smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I am a big time emotional eater! I'm happy - lets go out to eat. I'm mad, I grab a snickers, bored, working, whatever - I'm eating!

Being on this weight loss journey is a struggle. Slowly but surely. As I work out - I'm feeling better which makes me think about what I eat more and don't want to sabotage myself so I do become more cautious. Sometimes food is all I think about. I'm planning my next meal, looking at calories, love love to walk the grocery store - etc. I love to cook and try new things.

So.... I'm with you. No big advice except one meal, one day at a time. It's not easy is it.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.

~Sandy
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. When I'm stressed, nervous, bored, whatever, I eat. I joined this site a year ago and lost about five pounds in three months, got frustrated that I wasn't losing faster and ate back all I had lost in about two weeks. Since then, I've been struggling with trying to get it under control and lose again, but I'm now about three pounds heavier than I was at this time last year. I know it's entirely because I'm an emotional eater. I enjoy exercising, and I'd have no problems sticking to my calorie allotment otherwise. If you can relate to this, please let me know what you do to soothe yourself other than eat. I've tried several things -- exercise, chewing gum, etc. -- but nothing seems to stick.

Go to your nearest library and see if they have these books. I have been able to conquer emotional eating with this book.

Both of these books are by Julia Ross. The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure.