I've had a rubbish day need your advice peeps!

Options
Disappointing day went to the gym to check on my progress over the past 4 weeks and found out that i only lost .5lb in body fat from 25.4 to 24.9 and kept my same weight and water percentage. I did gain an extra .5 in muscle so now 1lb gain.

I queried my weight as I weigh myself in the morning once at the end of a week andI've gone from 197lb to 188lb and when I weigh at the gym its usually 7pm which I know I'll be carrying additional weight so probably shows as no loss at the gym.

I did have a few beers on Saturday night, however I eat so healthily during the week and anyone can see my diary on here. Would just really appreciate some support as I feel I've hit a bit of a plateau.

We changed my workout to now be 25 mins cardio intervals then weights for 35 mins working on one area each day i.e. back and shoulders, chest, legs and abs.

Welcome any help please :)

Replies

• mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you always do the same thing for cardio? Maybe mix it up a bit...

Also, I have heard that if you eat at about the same deficit each day your body might become complacent. Try throwing in a high cal day in there and see if you can shake your body out of it.

I am by NO means an expert, I am just retelling tales I have read in other threads (sorry if its poor advice).

Good luck!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would say to add more cardio... I try to do a minimum of 45 minutes in order to lose weight.

I also change it up very often. During the week I will do kickboxing Monday, pilates tuesday, step aerobics Wednesday and so on....

I would also vary my diet. I am just starting this... but one day a week will be all fruit smoothies that I make with my friend. We add protein powders and veggies into them as well. Kind of like a meat detox.

Keep those muscles guessing!!!!!
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well before on my cardio days I would do an hour on the cross trainer followed by running intervals on the treadmill or some days just interval training on the treadmill. So no idea why now my cardio is reduced too much :( I may just do extra time on cardio and see where it gets me.

I'll try different deficits and try mixing my food up a little more as I usually eat the same things day in day out.

Thought about a run on a weekend morning before breakfast to see if that helps. Just shame its getting icy and still cold out there! God damn the UK!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,953 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. I think dumping your cardio down to <20 minutes (HIIT) is a good move. And, increasing HOW HEAVY you are lifting is also key. If you could get in 2 x full-body work-outs a week, I think that might be better than splits, right now, when you are really working on decreasing BF%.

You are doing your HIIT AFTER your weight-training, right?? That's when I do mine....because that's what Body-for-Life AND NROL4W recommend. (And, you can also do HIIT the days in-between your weight-training, too.)

Make sure you have appropriate rest-days in between your weight-training....your muscles need time to repair!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think that's great for 4 weeks! Do you mean you've only been at this 4 weeks? My advice is to stick with it, that's not much time at all and you're already seeing results. And what Beeps said. (:
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Well been doing it for 8 weeks now and 1st 4 weeks I really made a shift from 197lb to 188.9lb. Weighed myself sunday and it read at 194lb!!!!! :(

I'm doing the cardio before the weights as my instructor has said. Im doing 5 mins job then 15 mins of 1 min job and 1 min sprint.

Weights done today were:

dumbell bench press 3 reps of 10 10kg
    chest flys 3 reps of 10 8kg
    pectoral machine 3 reps of 10 25kg
    assisted dips 3 reps of 1 x 10 2 x4
    planks 3 x 40 seconds
    tricep extension 3 reps of 10 12.5kg
    ball twists 3 reps of 4 (until i get my balance with feet off the floor!)

tomorrow will be different exercises and the day after will be different again. Been told to try doing this every day and each work out should last no longer than an hour.

What do you peeps reckon? At the moment I'm trying to get the best results that are efficient in the time.

I've purposely changed my calorie intake today to see if it gets things moving again and play around with different foods.

Thanks everyone for your support so far.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a Heart Rate Monitor or anything that tells you when you are up into the calorie burning zone? You may be building more muscle than burning calories (which will probably reviel itself in how your clothes fit before it shows on the scale.)

I just ordered the BodyMedia LINK (blue tooth connects from the arm band to my Smart phone). I'm waiting for it to be delivered this week and can't wait. I bought this AFTER I bought 2 less expensive HRM/Pedometers that didn't tell me how many calories I am actually burning. The calories burned are only as good as the data entered...so the MFP database is a guestimate.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well been doing it for 8 weeks now and 1st 4 weeks I really made a shift from 197lb to 188.9lb. Weighed myself sunday and it read at 194lb!!!!! :(

I'm doing the cardio before the weights as my instructor has said. Im doing 5 mins job then 15 mins of 1 min job and 1 min sprint.

Weights done today were:

dumbell bench press 3 reps of 10 10kg
    chest flys 3 reps of 10 8kg
    pectoral machine 3 reps of 10 25kg
    assisted dips 3 reps of 1 x 10 2 x4
    planks 3 x 40 seconds
    tricep extension 3 reps of 10 12.5kg
    ball twists 3 reps of 4 (until i get my balance with feet off the floor!)

tomorrow will be different exercises and the day after will be different again. Been told to try doing this every day and each work out should last no longer than an hour.

What do you peeps reckon? At the moment I'm trying to get the best results that are efficient in the time.

I've purposely changed my calorie intake today to see if it gets things moving again and play around with different foods.

Thanks everyone for your support so far.

Cardio after weights

And do you find the weights you're using challenging or do you think you can lift heavier and possible less reps?
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am not a pro but looked at your food diary, there are things I noticed.

You don't log everything - I believe logging where we went wrong gives us perspective it may not be as bad as you think. Plus you may find you were still under calories.

You do not eat all your cals back some days you are very low especially for a man exercising

Why not make up those exercise calories with more good foods like green veggies and nuts as a snack.

Then do what the guys said above regarding training. By the looks of your food diary if you up your training and continue eating as you are your could a) stay the same or worse b) collapse! Also you are 8 weeks in you may be used to your pattern so time for some new and positive changes.

Good luck!
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Some areas I feel now I can move the weights up a little more and change from 10 reps to 8 reps. How does this sound? Especially bench press which I find I can do better now. Flys are still difficult with 8kg weight.
  • triciadg
    Options
    Do 5 min warm - up,
    Then do weights ( in a circuit) with 10 sec rest intervals between sets, focusing on push/pull series -weekly split routine (upper body) 15 min; lower body 15 min (upper and lower is done on alternatingt days, work in 15 min of core at least 3 days each week.
    then 45 min cardio for a few weeks,
    Then think about changing up your routine again.

Log EVERYTHING you swallow and how much of it each day!!

Tricia
    Certified personal trainer
    Napa, CA
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Thanks all, not regarding my odd days I haven't logged, my choice and quality of foods must be on the right track? Would like to hear if my food diary is of any good?