Does everyone do protein shakes?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do the one at Costco by Premier Nutrition.

160 calories,
    30g protein,
    5 carbs,
    1 sugar
    340 sodium.

I drink it with in about 30 minutes of a work out, usually right away cause I am starving. :)

I switched to that Visalus shake for a few months and although I do like the taste of it, I did not like the results I got from it. It also has 12 g protein and I do not need to lose more than 5 lbs, I think that one is best suited for someone that needs to lose more than 20.
  • Hotmess2012
    Options
    My best friend does the protein shake thing, but like you I enjoy eating my food not drinking it! I personally think it's a good thing if your on the go and need some nourishment. I'm with ya!
  • stasturg
    Options
    GNC Total Lean; I buy the ones already mixed; excellent but gets a bit pricey. I have tried tons of powders and always fail to mix right. Total Lean is filling, low calorie and carb but high protein. My protein goals is 80mg a day and total lean gets me there. Lean Muscle by GNC is exactly the same thing but packaged more for me. Calories and ingredient - exact.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't higher cals than I need... I use Optimum Nutrition and Jay Robb, depending on my mood.

I found it impossible to get sufficient daily protein (>100g) without them.

Super tasty with peanut butter. Like everything.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with shakes/smoothies in general, I only put protein powder in them sometimes. Whey 60 (from GNC, I have chocolate) is a little under 100 calories and 20 g protein per scoop, I usually do 1/2 to 1 scoop if I put it in. You can put in any ingredients you want, I replace it for dessert at night sometimes, for about 150 calories. Love them! And I used to be like you, didn't want to "drink" my meals, but it's different when it's made with fresh/frozen ingredients vs. using a pre-bottled brand. Try it and see!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No, I think they are a total marketing con. They just aren't necessary at all unless you are an elite athlete doing serious training.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I drink Primal Fuel Vanilla Cream protein powder. I have it as a breakfast replacement a couple times a week. They are DELICIOUS! My shakes are a little bit high in calories, but tons of protein. I add it with peanut butter and a banana and ice.
    They are totally worth the calories for me because it's hard to get my protein otherwise.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are probably useful if you are doing a lot of weight training and want to bulk up. For the rest of us, they are best avoided. Eat real food. Not too much.
  • buffbeenie
    buffbeenie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a dairy free vegetarian I can find it hard to get all the protein I need on a daily basis. With a glass of soya milk a hemp/greens protein shake is still only roughly 200 cals. Alongside healthy snacks and low carb regular meals I can still maintain a calorie defecit. Good luck :smile:
  • washingtonirving81
    Options
    I do Gold Standard 100% Whey shakes post workout. They're only 120 calories and it has 24 grams of protein. They taste ok with water but are surprisingly good with Skim milk.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    No, I think they are a total marketing con. They just aren't necessary at all unless you are an elite athlete doing serious training.
    Protein shakes are probably useful if you are doing a lot of weight training and want to bulk up. For the rest of us, they are best avoided. Eat real food. Not too much.

disagree on both counts. protein powder is a great way to get in that extra protein your body needs. and all people that work out, even runners and dedicated endurance athletes can benefit from this. when working out, you do use muscles, and cardio can burn the muscle as equally as it burns the fat. therefore you need to rebuild the muscle. drinking a protein shake will not bulk you up, but help maintain your muscles.
  • fteale
    Options

disagree on both counts. protein powder is a great way to get in that extra protein your body needs. and all people that work out, even runners and dedicated endurance athletes can benefit from this. when working out, you do use muscles, and cardio can burn the muscle as equally as it burns the fat. therefore you need to rebuild the muscle. drinking a protein shake will not bulk you up, but help maintain your muscles.

Why do you assume your body needs extra protein? Most people in the States eat 4x more than the WHO recommended amount of protein a day. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't an elite athlete or lifting weights competitively would need that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Why do you assume your body needs extra protein? Most people in the States eat 4x more than the WHO recommended amount of protein a day. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't an elite athlete or lifting weights competitively would need that.

That's because the RDI for protein is low.

Protein is the most important macronutrient for anyone on a calorie restricted diet. This + resistance training is what will help you retain your LBM & lose FAT not weight.

That is the reason I use protein powders. (not shakes though these days, proats mainly)
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I dont have much time to do protein shakes so if i do have one...its the special K shakes...on the go. Even if i dont have one of those, which most days i dont, i still get all of my protein and sometimes go over.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't. I prefer to get my protein naturally within my diet, not supplements; and I don't have a problem getting the protein I need. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    most people that work out should consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is basically the weight of your bones, muscles and organs. no fat or water.

i am far from an elite athlete, and i know on days that i don't have a shake, i will not come to that number. the other day i consumed a protein shake and didn't come to that number. my LBM is 163, and my recommended protein intake is between 196g to 250g.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Most armchair athletes don't need extra protein; my son just got braces on his teeth and I purchased protein shakes so that he could have something healthier than ice cream while they hurt. Otherwise I don't work out enough to warrant them.
  • fteale
    Options
    most people that work out should consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is basically the weight of your bones, muscles and organs. no fat or water.

i am far from an elite athlete, and i know on days that i don't have a shake, i will not come to that number. the other day i consumed a protein shake and didn't come to that number. my LBM is 163, and my recommended protein intake is between 196g to 250g.

See, everywhere else in the world it's 0.75 - 1g per KILO. I think someone messed up the formula somewhere for America and forgot to switch from kilos to lbs.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Most armchair athletes don't need extra protein;

As I said, it depends on if they want to lose FAT or weight.

The amount of people's dairies I see around here with >50g of protein per day is astounding. These are the people that need to use "supplements" to increase their protein intake if they don't want to eat real food that is.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

See, everywhere else in the world it's 0.75 - 1g per KILO. I think someone messed up the formula somewhere for America and forgot to switch from kilos to lbs.

Take a look at the RDI's for a variety of macro/micronutrients & see how they compare to what peer reviewed studies recommend.