Do you calves burn when you run?

Options
I just started running. I'm using a program called "couch to 10K" because I plan on running 10K on June 2nd. I havent ran in YEARS...5+ years lol

First week is walk 5min for a warm up then run 60 sec and walk 90sec, 8 times. then a 5min cool down.

My lungs seem to be able to handle it now but my calves have been burning and hurting lately by around the 4/5th 60sec run. It stops burning/gets better when I walk and then when i start running again, it starts to burn again.

Is this normal? what does this mean? does anyone else get this? will it go away?.....
This is making it very difficult to run....

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    My calves never have.
    Usually its my eyes. It could be the pepper spray, I'm not really sure.
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Might be muscle fatigue, but I would just streatch them more before exercising.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    In the beginning yes.. just give it a week or two.
  • _CiaoParis
    Options
    Mine used to.. but now I stretch before and after I run and they don't burn.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Mine would really burn in the beginning, especially as I was pushing myself. You might need to take more breaks, but don't stop pushing yourself either. Especially if you haven't run before. :) All I can say is that it DOES go away. Your muscles just need to learn to build/adapt first for running.

Make sure to do stretching before and after to avoid injury.
  • StacyX582
    Options
    I just got compression socks for Christmas, and I've had no leg pain when running - fantastic investment (the ones I got are like $50ish, brand is CEP, available on Amazon) :) Hope it goes away!
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water throughout the day! My legs do that when i'm not properly hydrated.
  • Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My calves always burn after running. I think it's normal because if you think about it makes sure that your posture is correct and doing the heel toe thing you calf is almost always flexing. But I'm really not a runner so I could be totally wrong.
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow, 10k! That's an aggressive goal!

Have you considered your shoes? Road Runner Sports has a pretty good system to help you figure out what kind of shoes you need called "Shoe Dog" http://rrsports.tellapal.com/a/clk/4Z6CPB

For a long time I was wearing "good" running shoes- but I had terrible shin splints. I tried stretches and all kinds of things- but it turns out they were good shoes, but just not the shoes for me. I needed a shoe for a heavier runner. Once I got them, the shin splints went away and I could run longer!

Good luck in whatever you find that works for you! :happy:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My calves never have.
    Usually its my eyes. It could be the pepper spray, I'm not really sure.

Hahahaha!
    My calves don't, no.
  • passionately_kate
    passionately_kate Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    awesome! thanks everyone for the advice! :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Haven't run in 5 years, eh?

Hmm, I started losing weight in December, 2010 and was light enough to run in June 2011. Prior to that, the last time I ran was a few years before you were born. :-)

The burn in your calves will go away as your muscles get used to the new demands that you are placing on them. It's not unusual at all for that to happen.

There is a "runners forum", BTW. Check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/64-happy-feet-runners-unite-

Oh, insofar as water is concerned, please do not entertain the idea that the sensation in your calves has anything at all to do with water.

Many folks here at MFP drink water for many reasons but, from a medical perspective, there is no need for it. Some sites actually reveal that the reason they recommend drinking so much water is to control the urge to eat. No doubt, it's very helpful for that. Other than that, though, all if does it make you pee a lot.

Runners have to be conscious of water consumption and, heh, what do you know, even marathoners don't need to drink a lot of water. In fact, the International Association of Marathon Medical Directors changed their recommendation about water based on "overwhelming medical evidence". For years, they recommended that runners pre-hydrate but the evidence was so strong that their recommendation is simply to drink when you feel thirsty.