Spring Strawberry Pie (Cooking Light)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Spring Strawberry Pie

The classic strawberry pie is updated with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Crust:
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
Cooking spray

Filling:
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 cups small strawberries

Topping:
3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts or almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
1/2 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

To prepare the filling, combine strawberry slices and vinegar in a medium nonstick skillet. Place the berry mixture over medium-high heat; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar. Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Cool completely. Arrange whole strawberries, stem sides down, in crust. Pour cooled strawberry mixture over whole strawberries. Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.

To prepare the topping, combine 3 tablespoons cracker crumbs, nuts, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter in a small bowl. Place crumb mixture in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown; cool. Sprinkle crumb mixture over pie. Top each serving with whipped topping.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and 1 tablespoon whipped topping)

CALORIES 229 (35% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 4.1g,mono 2.8g,poly 1.4g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 34mg; CARBOHYDRATE 37g; SODIUM 176mg; PROTEIN 2.3g; FIBER 3.5g

Cooking Light, MAY 2001

strawberry-pie-ck-226468-l.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Spring Strawberry Pie

The classic strawberry pie is updated with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Crust:
    1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Cooking spray

Filling:
    2 cups sliced strawberries
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    6 cups small strawberries

Topping:
    3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
    1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts or almonds
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
    1/2 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

To prepare the filling, combine strawberry slices and vinegar in a medium nonstick skillet. Place the berry mixture over medium-high heat; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar. Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Cool completely. Arrange whole strawberries, stem sides down, in crust. Pour cooled strawberry mixture over whole strawberries. Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.

To prepare the topping, combine 3 tablespoons cracker crumbs, nuts, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter in a small bowl. Place crumb mixture in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown; cool. Sprinkle crumb mixture over pie. Top each serving with whipped topping.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and 1 tablespoon whipped topping)

CALORIES 229 (35% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 4.1g,mono 2.8g,poly 1.4g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 34mg; CARBOHYDRATE 37g; SODIUM 176mg; PROTEIN 2.3g; FIBER 3.5g

Cooking Light, MAY 2001

strawberry-pie-ck-226468-l.jpg
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This looks so good! It's almost the recipe I use with the addition of the crumb topping and of course the vinegar. I love balsamic so I'm looking forward to strawberry season to try this.
    Oh and no fake whipped topping on mine. I don't want anything to mess with my fresh flavors!

Thanks for the recipe Tam:flowerforyou: