creative party ideas********

Options
sixtyinchesoffury
sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
Hi there!!! I am looking for a few ideas to do with 4 boys ages 5-8. Here's what makes it tricky there can be no lights for one hour. Anyone got any ideas??? It will be my son's bday party but we want to celebrate Earth Hour as well.

If you haven't heard about Earth Hour google it! It is a really cool idea....Sat. March 28th at 8:30p

thanks everybody, have a super day:wink:

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    Options
    Hi there!!! I am looking for a few ideas to do with 4 boys ages 5-8. Here's what makes it tricky there can be no lights for one hour. Anyone got any ideas??? It will be my son's bday party but we want to celebrate Earth Hour as well.

If you haven't heard about Earth Hour google it! It is a really cool idea....Sat. March 28th at 8:30p

thanks everybody, have a super day:wink:
  • highlighters
    Options
    Hi, I'm assuming you are going to have some fun stuff to do with the lightts on (we are going to enjoy that day at our house, but we will still have the end of the setting sun so we are just planning to take a walk and hopefully see our neighbors doing the same). Your kids are at such great ages!

Here is one funny thing to do with the kids in the dark if you let them have candy. Buy a large pack of Wint-O-Green Lifesavers. Make sure it is dark (if not a closet will do). Show the kids how to chew the Lifesavers with <gasp> their mouths OPEN. You will see "sparks" as you chew!! Another silly food thing might be to get a small bag of Jelly Belly jelly beans and try to guess which flavor you are eating, this can get silly but is good bec/ a small bag goes a long long way as you eat one at a time. Of course, this is a very quick activity!!

You could also play a game. Racko is our favorite game to play by candle light, but if you don't want to use candles you could lay together in the dark and tell stories. My kids loved this. Sometimes I would tell stories (you can recycle ones you know or make up your own), other times we would take turns adding to the story - kids like to participate even if they only make up one sentence before it moves to the next person. Another fun thing is to get the children to participate with the story by having them make a sound whenever a certain character is mentioned. Say the story is about a lion, every time you mention the lion the kids listen carefully to your story and when they hear it they both roar. If the story is about an animal its easy but you can just do funny sounds with any other main characters.

Hope your party (and the day) is fun!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Were you planning on staying indoors? Because one of our favorite games to play in the dark was ghosts in the graveyard, but you have to play outside. One person is it. Everyone starts at home base, and the person who's it counts to 12. Then they have to tag other people before they reach home base. I think that there are a million different ways to play. Here's a link if you wanted to read more: http://www.gameskidsplay.net/GAMES/sensing_games/ghost_graveyard.htm

Have fun! :drinker:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Because earth hour is about turning off the light "switch" I interpret that as not using "electric" light for an hour - which means flashlights and candles are okay if you need them. My suggestions are:

*do a shadow puppet play using candles
    *let each boy do a performance of their favorite action/cartoon hero, spotlighted by flashlight
    *play flashlight tag or hide and seek - my kids used to all get blindfolds on to play "feel and find" hide and go seek (confined to one room in the house)
    *hide party favor "treasures" all over the place and let them go on a "treasure hunt" -

Man, I might have my own party in the dark - what a fun idea!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas!!!!

i am really excited and i think it will be a great way to teach the kids about energy useage and how you don't need something ---computer, video games, etc. to entertain yourself

yeah i can't wait for the party!!!!:drinker: