Take those classes!!!

Options
If you are thinking of taking some exercise classes and are afraid, DO IT!!

I tried the Powerflex class at my gym and got a really good workout. I thought ppl would be aggravated with me not knowing the moves, or being able to lift the heavier weights. Instead the instructor came over and aligned my back for proper form. The girl behind me handed me 2 lbs weights when I was struggling with the 5 pounders.

The other girl next to me helped with my position on the ball.

Now I am telling you these were fit women who were there for their workout and they took the time to help me.

I made it thru and recvd a few back slaps for job well done.

I am going back and when I get to know the moves, I will help the newbie out the next time.

Just do it!! I swear ppl are not watching you in a bad way.............they are PROUD you are doing it!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I tried the Powerflex class at my gym and got a really good workout. I thought ppl would be aggravated with me not knowing the moves, or being able to lift the heavier weights. Instead the instructor came over and aligned my back for proper form. The girl behind me handed me 2 lbs weights when I was struggling with the 5 pounders.

Now I am telling you these were fit women who were there for their workout and they took the time to help me.

I am going back and when I get to know the moves, I will help the newbie out the next time.

Just do it!! I swear ppl are not watching you in a bad way.............they are PROUD you are doing it!
  • hotmommyjess
    Options
    I agree :happy: bc I am one of the ppl who would love to help!!! If you have a good time chances are you come back and ppl who want to pay it forward and help love it
  • emybball
    emybball Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree too! I used to be one of those newbies and a few years later I'm a certified instructor and LOVE IT when new people come!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Jeannie, I am so proud of you for going to the class. Glad you enjoyed it! :smile:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Im proud of you also..... I take morning classes at my gym and I am by far the heaviest person there but no one judges me there and I love it and I keep going back.

Connie
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with everyone. I take the body pump class and rpm sometimes there are women of all sizes all there for the same thing. Classes are great way to switch up your routine.
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options

There's simply nothing in the world better than 'paying it forward!':drinker:
    Glad you had such a great experience at your first class....always make it easier going back:happy:
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    SOOO TRUE!!!
    I have belonged to a gym for a year and FINALLY started to join classes.
    I am SO ADDICTED. I go to a class every day!! You do it at YOUR level and people are so great about it. Some gyms are overwhelming with a large group, mine only has about 20 at the most which makes it more comfortable.

Not to mention the HUGE results you get out of it!!
    If anyone is thinking about it....DO IT!!!!!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options

Last year I signed up and paid for a beginners 8-week yoga class at the YWCA. When I went to the Y to check in, I was told that I had permanently been bumped to the intermediate/advance yoga class because they had over-booked. I had never done yoga before and even though the instructor assured me I would be fine in the upper-lvl class, I could not bring myself to go. :sad:
    I was too self-conscious, too worried of what I would look like compared to the more advance people.

I realize now, that this was a mistake and that the people there would have probably been more than helpful. I am signing up for another yoga class this spring and I am more than ready this time.

So, thank you for this post, and if anybody else out there is feeling nervous about a group-fitness class, just get over that silliness now and go have some fun! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Last year I signed up and paid for a beginners 8-week yoga class at the YWCA. When I went to the Y to check in, I was told that I had permanently been bumped to the intermediate/advance yoga class because they had over-booked. I had never done yoga before and even though the instructor assured me I would be fine in the upper-lvl class, I could not bring myself to go. :sad:
    I was too self-conscious, too worried of what I would look like compared to the more advance people.

I realize now, that this was a mistake and that the people there would have probably been more than helpful. I am signing up for another yoga class this spring and I am more than ready this time.

So, thank you for this post, and if anybody else out there is feeling nervous about a group-fitness class, just get over that silliness now and go have some fun! :flowerforyou:

that is all I hope for. One person to be touched by the post, and help them!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I agree! I was scared to be the newbie and then I finally go over it and went. I love my Bodypump class and I also do RPM. Now I feel like a pro in the classes and am so glad I go over my fear!