protein...help!

Options
Hi...
I am new to the site (almost 2weeks) and love it. I am coming off Atkin's....can't take the eggs, meat and cheese any longer.
Would like to have some ideas trying to get more protein. I love shakes made with protein powder and silk, but don't mind the green smoothies either (mine are spinach, O.J. and some kind of berry) Any ideas what I can do now?????

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can bake stuff with your protein eh....

Try cookies, bars, or even a variation of cheesecake (sweetner instead of sugar).

You can freeze it with a variety of things and make ice cream variations.

There's a few recipes that'll make a brownie or muffin in the microwave (30 seconds) with whey and an egg.

Start gettin naughty already. It's 2012.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Maybe you add vegetarian protein such as tofu and lentil, and fish to your diet.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    I start my morning with a tbsp of almond butter spread over a slice of whole wheat grain bread, coupled with greek yogurt. I'm about to go up to 2 slices of bread with a tbsp almond butter each! =)
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I use the whey protien and eat a lot of egg whites, nuts, immitation crab and protien bars for my protien since I don't eat any meat. You can check my food diary. I actually ate 177 grams of protien today.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i put peanut butter in my oatmeal. i also make about 8 hard boiled eggs to have for the week.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    just keep eating meats, eggs, tofu, cheese ect. just balance it out with your carbs.
  • ellenoh2003
    ellenoh2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds for an extra boost! You can add them to everything and won't even notice!
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options

Try cookies, bars, or even a variation of cheesecake (sweetner instead of sugar).

There's a few recipes that'll make a brownie or muffin in the microwave (30 seconds) with whey and an egg.

oh yes. theres a website, www.proteinpow.com . Its freaking AMAZING!! It usually has the macros calculated already and its a bunch of recipes for things like cake, muffins, bars etc, made with protein powder instead of flour! and holy *kitten* I could eat some of those things ALL DAY!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Try these...

Cottage cheese, 1/2 cup – 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8 to 12 grams, check label (more if it is greek)
    Tofu, 1/2 cup – 20 grams protein
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc.) – about 7 to 10 grams protein per half cup
    Soy beans, 1/2 cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, 1/2 cup cooked – 8 grams
    Peanut butter, 2 tablespoons – 8 grams protein
    Almonds, 1/4 cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, 1/4 cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, 1/4 cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, 1/4 cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkinseeds, 1/4 cup – 19 grams
    Flaxseeds, 1/4 cup – 8 grams
  • twokids02
    Options
    my mashed "potatoes" have a hint of protien and my 6 yearold doesnt even notice the differance! i boil caulifower in fatfree chicken broth until its soft then i used a can of white beans I use cantalini (im not sure of the spelling) boil it all together for a ew more mins and then mash away!
  • MamaGoos
    MamaGoos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Remind me to bring in my recipe for black and white bean veggie burgers. Excellent source of protein and taste like real hamburgers.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like a lot. But I have read that you should have 1 gram per pound of body weight. I think that I was getting
    an easy 100 grams doing Atkins, but I can't stomach that any more. I love protein shakes and could easily give up meat! Thank you for writing. :happy:
  • gabbymom2
    Options
    Thanks you so much...this has helped!
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options

oh yes. theres a website, www.proteinpow.com . Its freaking AMAZING!! It usually has the macros calculated already and its a bunch of recipes for things like cake, muffins, bars etc, made with protein powder instead of flour! and holy *kitten* I could eat some of those things ALL DAY!

What an awesome website! Will be trying some of these!
  • gabbymom2
    Options
    Nice idea, thanks!