Weight Loss and TTC/Pregnancy

Options
Hello!
I'm currently TTC for my 5th pregnancy/second child, while I know that losing weight prior to pregnancy is healthy- especially establishing healthy eating habits, what about once you are pregnant?

All the pregnancy books remind expectant mothers to go easy on exercise, but very little on calorie intake except for the "eat healthy, take your vitamins" bit. Because I've had such hard pregnancies before I know I'm already high risk for just about everything that can go wrong in a pregnancy. I don't want my diet to hurt anything, but I also don't want to gain much more than necessary- or lose all the good habits I've been working so hard to form!

Any other women have experience with being pregnant and still trying to maintain/lose weight?

Replies

• melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    Since you've had difficult pregnancies, I'd work closely with your OB and see if they can refer you to a nutritionist that specializes in pregnancy.

And good luck TTC! We start in 6(ish) weeks for #2 as well :)
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would work closely with your OB. For me, I'm clear to train and exercise as long as I am able (I was fit before hand and plan on simply continuing my old routine). I've heard that it is really a judgement call for each OB as far as what they recommend and the previous exercise habits of the patient. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on here can answer your question exactly.

As far as weight gain goes, I think it is possible to have a normal pregnancy without fat gain (depending on where you start from), but weight gain is inevitable with the baby and water weight (obviously necessary clarifications apply... depends on weight, etc). I do think the most important thing is working with your OB, or finding one that is willing to work with you. With prior complications, I really don't think (I'll say this again) that anyone can answer your questions.

But, with that said, congrats girl and I hope it happens soon! :)
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    so you can continue any exercise that you are already doing, your body will let you know when to slow down.. i hiked constantly when i was pregnant with my 3rd, then one day i was 5.5 months and my body was like yeah, you can't do that anymore... as far as food, i would start to ease yourself up to maintenance.. you don't want to overeat, but you don't want to under-eat either.. in the first trimester you don't need any extra cals, and the second you only need like 300 more.. so most women when they are pregnant stop tracking, and well i ate way more than i should have..i plan on ttc in june and plan on tracking all throughout my pregnancy :D good luck!
  • Tan2410
    Options
    My sister worked out throughout most of her pregnancy. When it got toward the end, she would swim. I wish I would have worked out more when I was pregnant, I wouldn't be as out of shape as I am right now!!

I would definitely not diet while pregnant, just eat healthier. As the other posts said, talk to your dr. about this too.