First Time Gym

Options
Hi everyone,

So, tomorrow starts my first day ever at a gym, and though I've lost the weight I've wanted to lose, and I've toned up significantly, I'm still embarrassed to ask members &/or employees how to adjust and use some of the equipment. I'm also nervous about people possibly watching me. I'm probably just nervous because it's going to be the first day, and I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle first day gym jitters?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan/routine!

You don't have to have it on a piece of paper either text it to yourself or put it as a not on an i-device. You would look kind of silly if it was an iPad though.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    ask the employees or other people when you don't know how to use equipment. That's why the employees are there. Don't feel bad about it. Most of the time nobody's looking at you. They're worrying about everybody looking at them. Most people are happy to help out. Big ego boost "Hey, I know more than that noobie...."

Make a plan of exercise, keep track of what you do and what weights, number of reps etc. DON"T OVERDO IT. Take it slow or you injure yourself.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    One thing, no one will be looking at you. I know there are times when I am just looking around between sets, but the only thing on my mind is how much longer till I get a hot shower!

The staff is there to help you do everything correctly, from form, to adjusting the equipment. It is to your benefit to use the staff and prevent injury. The staff would prefer to take the time to help you do it right, than to deal with an injury later. ASK for help. I get questions all the time from new people and I am more than happy to help them. Just ask. I have made some great friendships as a result of that first question.