Protein Shake Concerns

Options
I was thinking of working protein shakes into my regimen since I am now more concerned with reducing bodyfat, building muscle, and toning rather than weight loss. I have been led to believe that protein is important for these goals when you are weight training and that MFP's default levels are low.

However, I have become concerned after doing some research that I could do harm to my body in selecting the wrong powder. Talk of toxicity, metals, mercury, etc. has made me extremely wary. Does anyone know of brands that avoid these things and also do not taste horrible? (I will admit I probably won't choke it down as often as I should if it doesn't taste good...)

In addition, I have seen varying arguments on how many grams of protein I should be aiming for. I'm a 5' 5" female and currently sit at 135lbs.

Any help would be appreciated as I would rather not slowly kill myself through daily consumption of toxic amounts of things I should not be eating. <3

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    good question, bump for answers!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Bump, would really like some input! :) Thanks! <3
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I can't advise on protein pwders, as I avoid anything "false" like that.

From your stats, I'd say you should be looking to take in 100-120g protein per day. That's not impossible using real sources such as chicken breast, tuna, eggs etc.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There was a study done by consumer reports that showed results of tests for heavy metals in protein supplements (Muscle Milk was the worst, if I recall).

What the study did not point out is that you get just as many heavy metals and more in foods we eat everyday, especially fish & crustaceans.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me that protein shakes are not necessary and it's better to get protein from real food. I know there are many opinions to the contrary but she's been right about everything else she's told me.:). Could you put some Greek yogurt in a healthy smoothie instead? There's loads of protein in Greek yogurt.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    bump for answers... x
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    protein-drinks.jpg
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid soy and consider whey protein only. I've seen pea protein but have no idea how that measures up to whey.

I try to look for ones with the shortest list of ingredients and those not artificially sweetened, if possible.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIhU6CGj2Dd6CpbqyKAbR2VAjERVI0XQ2SqDT1FVW6md2zs9k4Cbptvi7b

Don't worry so much. :flowerforyou:
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just eat chicken! low cals and high in protein!
  • rissabella123
    rissabella123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We use Biochem protein powder here in our home since we don't like to use anything with sucralose or other chemical sweeteners. I use it only after a hard workout to supplement my protein intake as I eat primarily a vegetarian diet. I originally purchased it at Whole Foods but found it much cheaper on Amazon with free shipping. We've used the vanilla and chocolate 100% whey formula.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Since reading the reports I only use Optimum Nutrition.

www.strongpotential.com is a pretty good place to buy.

You'll Pay more for ON but almost no metals or arsnecs
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    Saw a post on other thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/419791-protein-deficiency-for-vegetarians
    And I quote from a user
    "
    The World Health Organization puts a lot of work into figuring these things out (for pretty obvious reasons). I also feel like they're perhaps less subject to the lobbying efforts of the meat and dairy industries, which I worry about with US FDA recommendations (I'm from the U.S. so that's my governmental reference). There is a detailed report here http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf with a table on page 87 for ratio of protein calories to total calories for adults and children of different ages and body sizes. My reading is their recommendations are all under 10% of calories from protein. Most vegetables and whole grains easily make this mark. Although you have to be careful, because added fat upsets this balance pretty quickly. For example, if you're sauteing vegetables in oil (which isn't bad in moderation), the oil adds a lot of calories, and no protein.
    "

Up to you guys if you want to follow WHO or not? :)

Good Luck.
  • samantha64118
    Options
    I use the Visalus Body by Vi protein shakes. They are a non-GMO product, and it has a sweet cream flavor to it. It tastes amazing if you add a banana to it, or you can also add in some Ovaltine if you like chocolate milk. It's what my personal trainer recommended to me, so that's why I use it. For 1 a day it's like $55 per month (30 day supply). Some might think it's pricey, but then again you get what you pay for so if you're worried about taste, quality, and safety it's better to splurge a little for those things.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I use BlueBonnet grass fed, cold processed French Vanilla whey powder - it's got all the good stuff and none of the bad. It costs a bit more, but I like the taste, and I always mix it with fruit and coconut water, so you don't really taste the powder anyway!

I just a few new ones at Whole Foods yesterday, and Hemp is supposed to be good source of protein as well. But I'm sticking with what works for me, which is the blue bonnet.

It's 26g of protein per scoop, and I have 1/2 in the a.m. before I work out and 1/2 as my snack after my workout, that has been working pretty good so far, and then I add in 3-4 ounces of chicken at lunch and 2-3 ounces of meat or fish for dinner.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You said the MFP's default levels are low, that's not true in my case. I'm set at 113 grams which goes up depending on the type of exercise I do that day. Yesterday needed to consumed 207 grams of protein an impossible task.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate- I buy this kind of protein powder. The ingredients are : Whey Protein Isolate and Bromelain. It's nice to have on hand if you can't get your protein from another source or if you want to supplement.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just went to my nutritionist and she said if I was needing protein, that I could use a protein shake. She stated I could use a whey protein powder, add greek yogurt, and do fruit or even avocado (mild taste). She stated no more than 25 grams of protein though per serving (? forgot to ask why). She also said to add flax seed to it. I'm curious to try this concoction.
  • Dyannparham
    Options
    I here you on the concerns. I have been using Shakeology for almost two years now and love it. It is a little on the pricy side but that is because it is all natural, made from real raw, organic foods. And it tastes amazing.

In the end you just have to find what works for you and your body. There are a ton out there. I can share more about it with you if you'd like.

Dy