Should I pursue more education? At what cost?

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
Y'all can always give such good advice so I was hoping to get some opinions on an issue I'm struggling with right now. I'm 22 and in college right now to get a B.S. in psychology. Graduation isn't too far off and I need to start making some decisions. I would really LOVE to attend a veterinary medicine program and my grades/experience/vet school bio/chem/etc prereqs are all excellent and I wouldn't have trouble getting letters of recommendation from the vet and animal organizations I've worked with or from professors.

The only problem comes when you consider that I have three children (married at 18) and it would involve taking on loans for school and moving. Is it really worth it? It's what I would like to do BUT I keep thinking that maybe I should attend some other doctorate program closer by that will provide a stipend and just go into a different field.

Would pursuing vet school be irresponsible? Is it worth the debt?

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'd go for it.. do it while you're still young.. it'll pay off later down the road. I'd look at it as an investment.. if the payoff once you complete warrants the initial money then do it..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Life decisions require balance discussions. First, what would make you happiest. Second, what would earn you the best life for you and your children. After you do the passion vs math part is put together, the decision gets easier.

The other side of this is to consider that you could have two careers in a lifetime. I chose to make the money first, then will revert to my passion after I've cared for my daughter and set myself in a comfortable retirement.
  • luv2Bsilly
    luv2Bsilly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I say go now, I got married young and had kids and now that they are grown and gone, I'm sooo tired when I get home at night, don't think I could do school. Persue your dreams now:)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Vets are very well paid, so the loans might take care of themselves fairly quickly.
    If you are going to move, now (while your kids are so young) is probably the best time.
    You'll enjoy it, enjoy the career at the end, and inspire your children to do well in school.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you can stay at your college, DON'T GRADUATE!!! With a bachelor's, you will not be eligible for federal loans.

I was supposed to graduate with a BA in anthropology in December and decided to pursue a degree in nursing. Luckily, someone told me this right before the deadline, so I added a degree program, am still able to get loans, and will be graduating with two degrees - my BA and a BS in nursing.

And, yes, I think you should go for it! Now is the time to be in school and pursue what you want!
  • mdailey93
    Options
    If you have a real passion for it, and know that you could succeed, I absolutely think you should do it. In the long run, the move wont be a big deal. You're still young, and I'm guessing your kids are young, so it shouldn't impact them negatively.

Good luck at whatever you decide!
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing that is worth the debt, it is your education. Best of luck to you!
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    I did my PhD work in economics later in life (30s) and tell others who are thinking about advanced degrees that you have more "life capacity" when you are younger than older....the bigger question is does this fill a lifelong dream, talent, or skill that you have...if it does, then there is no time like the present....
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i cant give advice about the money side seeing as in Australia its different (also way better because it like doesnt have interest and you only have to pay it when you earn a certain amount of money yay =D )

but i can tell you that my mum has always regretted not getting further education, and now she feels like she is too old to do it and is so unhappy in her job

if being a vet is what you love then go for it, you dont want to miss out on an opportunity and then wish you had done it for the rest of your life
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I am currently looking at going back to school myself, I have a meeting tomorrow to see if its the right choice for me. I have been out of work more then working the last 5 years and need a change in fields.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think that I just heard an interesting factoid the other day.
    They stated that the real income disparity was most pronounced between those with degrees, and those with advanced degrees.
    Obviously, you want to avoid taking on too much debt, but that is a simple exercise in calculating your potential future income, and comparing it to the costs associated with the service of your loans.
    It's not like you're looking to get an advanced degree in Medieval Literature or something, a veterinary degree offers you real jobs and real potential for growth.
    No time like the present. I say go for it.
    Oh, and apologies to Mr. Chaucer..
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You will regret not doing what you really want to do. Children are very versatile and can handle changes alot better than adults. Loans will pay themselves off when you receive your degree and that is not worth letting a dream job go for. It's a very lucrative profession to be in and well worth the effort and time put into it. GO for it while your young and have the ability...
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Medical student here.

If you let the "daunting" tasks of getting into school haunt you, you won't even stand a chance once you get in. Not trying to be negative or put you down in any way, but you have to have a strong central drive to make it through any professional school. If its what you want, you will only regret not doing it. We have a saying at my school "the only thing worse than being in medical school is not being in medical school." Its tough, like really tough. But it can be done.

Bottom line, eliminate all the hurdles in the way and visualize your goal. Is it to be a practicing vet? Then get there. Everything in-between now and there is only a hurdle. Sure you will trip over a few, maybe bust your nose, but only you can make yourself get up and get to the goal.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Life is short, so you owe it to yourself and your family to find a way to follow your dreams. It will definitely be hard to balance family, but if you have a good support system, it can definitely be done. Time is going to go by whether you do it or not, so if you think it's something you'll regret NOT doing, then go get it done.

For the future, make sure you're flexible because it can make a huge difference financially. If you need to go part-time, then do it, because at least you're working towards something. Even if you don't do it in a straight line, going to school is a temporary venture, I strongly advise against going for broke on more school--the loans can be killer--so do it within reason and perhaps around the parameters set by federal loans which sets the annual borrowing cap at about 18.5K/year. That being said, do whatever you can to stay away from private loans. Everyone i know who has private loans--lawyers, MBAs, etc..has had a very tough time with those private loans. I went back to school after my BA and a huge break and I only took federal loans (8 credits/semester is all that's needed) and they are definitely manageable and flexible on repayment options.

In addition, I am among the very few people I know who have been able to move their career forward during this recession, and I credit it 1000% to having gone to get the advanced degree.

Good luck and go for it! School is the one thing in life I've never heard anyone regret.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you are going to regret not going, then go! I agree with the poster who said you will never regret going back to school.
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Let me just tell you; I have three children at home, ages 16, 14, and 4, and I went back to school for a BBA at age 35. I am now closing out my 3rd year. I've done it all on loans and I will probably be close to $85,000 in debt by the time I'm finished.

Trust me, years and years of going to a job you hate..or even don't like as much...will fill you with regret. Finding a job that you love and look forward to going to every day is the ultimate key to happiness..not money.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You're all wonderful. I appreciate some of you being open and sharing your own experiences and all the opinions and advice. I think I will start getting things together to apply to some (if not all, haha) of the programs.

Thanks again!