So...what next?

Options
I've reached a weight of 175-180lbs and maintained it for a year. Weight goal: check. Maintenance goal: check. I'm 40 years old, 6 foot, with a relatively ectomorph body type - long skinny arms and legs. I've been a low weight / high rep guy at the gym, but I've been adding more weights recently. Problem is that I still have a spare tire. My body fat is hovering at 13% and it's ALL around my midsection. So, I need a new goal.

I think the logical next step is to work on fitness goals (1.5 miles in 10 minutes; 40 consecutive pushups) and I have those. BUT, I'm very tempted to lose another 5-10 pounds and then start trying to add muscle mass. I'm afraid that if I reduce my calories, I'll start starving and cannibalizing the muscle I do have.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this myself, hopefully I'm a couple of months away from being at this point myself.

My thinking (as a relatively uneducated person in these matters) woud be to set yourself a very modest defecit (eg 1/2 pound per week), to make sure your getting enough fuel. Make sure you get a decent amount of protein (~30%), and dont be afraid of hitting the weights.
  • kevbot34
    Options
    I was around 188 at the end of last May. I ate around hmm I'd say 100+ grams of protein, no supplements just chicken, egg whites, turkey stuff like that. lifted 5 days week, did sprints and so distance running along with it. gained 22 pounds. I noticed some fat, but that was from late night taco bell runs and Budweiser (AmeriCANS so i had too). If you want to gain muscle just start with a program that eases you into things i.e. 3 sets of 15 reps low weight and every two weeks increasing weight and lowering reps.
  • kevbot34
    Options
    And yea if you just "starve" yourself that won't help. Wrestling in high school teaches you that. i was a healthy 185 wrestling at 171. All the muscle i got from football was gone. Definite no no if you want to gain muscle
  • monniker
    monniker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I definitely don't want to starve myself. I use a whey supplement now for protein and I'd guess I eat 70-80 grams per day. Thinking about upping that to over 100.