Need help with stiff/sore hips

Options
2»

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Ok so I looked up hip bursitis and that's not it - my pain is higher, like the pelvic bone area. Thanks cuz that rules that out. It's where what i think of as my hips vs. where my leg and my hip connect...
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    great stretch..... hold on to something sturdy.. standing up... Now place your right foot over the left knee (while holding on to something) and sit in the air; now go bacj to the standing position and switch feet. OMG does that stretch the hips out. Also yoga poses are awesome.
  • adopt4
    Options
    Ok I believe ya'll solved the mystery for me. Did research (online) based on the different things ya'll suggested, and I believe based on the areas of pain, etc. and what makes it worse is hip abductor weakness.... which would affect my gait, so when it gets worse as I grocery shop, makes sense... etc. So now when I see my dr I can tell her what I think and ask for a few physical therapy sessions to help me do the right things to strengthen those muscles!

I've been living with this for many, many years, just thought it was from inactivity or whatnot... but certain muscle weaknesses and improper stretching (and improper shoes) makes sense and also explains why it comes and goes, and gets worse at night when i sleep.

OH and I didn't mention that I had an MRI a few years ago complaining of the same thing.. and they guy told me I was too old and too fat, nothing could be done.. I was 40, for cripes sake! So I've not wanted to go that route again only to be told "it is what it is" when I felt strongly that there's a reason AND it's fixable, and not age and weight only.

WHOO-HOO! THANK YOU ALL!!!
  • adopt4
    Options
    great stretch..... hold on to something sturdy.. standing up... Now place your right foot over the left knee (while holding on to something) and sit in the air; now go bacj to the standing position and switch feet. OMG does that stretch the hips out. Also yoga poses are awesome.

Just did that, OMG pain pain - but in the areas to tell me that it's stretching the right muscles! Thanks!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    OH and I didn't mention that I had an MRI a few years ago complaining of the same thing.. and they guy told me I was too old and too fat, nothing could be done.. I was 40, for cripes sake! So I've not wanted to go that route again only to be told "it is what it is" when I felt strongly that there's a reason AND it's fixable, and not age and weight only.

Jeez... that's a pretty rude comment... did that come from a Doctor or the MRI tech? I would be furious and hurt by that! I'm sorry... Don't accept that kind of crap answer, because it's just plain crap!

I hope you have better luck this time around!
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the stretching and yoga.. But I was just wondering if you cross your legs when you sit.. I found that when I practiced better posture it made a huge improvement.
  • alwayzlovely
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but water aerobics helps a lot with joint pain. And STRETCHING, do not under estimate the power of stretching out those hips. Don't over do it, but stretch them a little more each time and watch how limber you become. The more flexible you are, the pain should lessen.

Whatever you do, don't quit!! Just keep making minor adjustments till your body catches up with your mind/ will. Go Go Go GIRLY :smile:

166606.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I have had pains in my hips too - it helps me to stretch.

I will sit indian style and reach forward with both hands then reverse the legs and do it again - hold each stretch for 20 seconds.

http://video.about.com/exercise/hip-streches.htm
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here's a good hip flexor stretch.

lie on your back arms out stretched and legs straight like a T.

bend 1 leg up to 90 degrees, then pivot that knee across your body keeping your upper body against the floor. Grab your knee with the opposite hand and pull it further down until you feel a stretch in the hip of the bent knee.

Hold for 15 seconds, do this before and after your workout.

another one:

kneel down on one knee

put your hands on the other knee (the "up" knee) and lean forward, push your hips forward to try to straighten the leg that is on the ground.