The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Options
toebass
toebass Posts: 73 Member
Has anyone here seen the movies or read the book?

I just went and saw the US version of the film - I loved the swedish version and the book, but i'm not so sure about the new one!

what does everyone else think?

Replies

• TehPeach
    Options
    Only saw the Swedish version, loved it!
  • catundra75
    Options
    I read the book and really liked it. I'm hoping to check out the US movie version soon. I haven't seen the Swedish one, so I won't have that to compare to the US one.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've read all 3 books.
    Have yet to see any of the movies and I doubt it will.
    Movies never, ever compare to the books and I'm always left disappointed.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I thought the film was excellent, but this discussion may give you more idea about whether it's your cup of tea or not:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/430936-best-lisbeth-salander-rooney-mara-or-noomi-rapace
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I really didn't get into the book until 3/4 of the way in and then I stormed through the next two books. I just couldn't figure out what the point was or how it came together. And then it DID come together and I think the whole series is great.

I sort of watched the Swedish version... the subtitles are always a distraction haha.
    I just saw the US version and I really liked the adaptation. I can't imagine someone REALLY liking it though unless they have previously read the book.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've seen all three of the Swedish films. Not sure I want to see the US version.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've read the first book (and I'm having a hell of a time finding a store that has the second in stock so I can continue!) and I saw the American version of the film with three people who hadn't seen the movie. I was still about 50 pages from the end of the book when we saw it, and the end of the movie was so jumbled and confusing for me, that I can't imagine how anyone could really follow along the movie without having read the books. However, the people I went with didn't mention having that problem. Then again, they didn't love it, either. They thought it was good, though.
    I keep meaning to watch the Swedish version but I haven't seen it available at a Redbox kiosk yet. Have heard that the Swedish version is better though. Also, read an article last week that the American version would be doing the full three-book series, but part of the article mentioned that the director would be free to "base" the books on the movie but not stick to them... which makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I loved the book and thought at the time it was unfilmable, spending so much time as it does detailing the research being undertaken between the action. The Swedish film was as accurate a vision as you are likely to see for such a difficult subject. The new version seems so similar I can't seeing it adding any additional value.
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of "the girl who played with fire" and i am hooked. Have not watched anything yet until i am finished reading. Soooo hooked into the story right now!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the Swedish film, but I read the first and second book (out of sequence because that's how I roll). I liked the movie, but I felt like some things were exaggerated in the film that were barely touched upon in the book. Also some things were left out of the movie that played a big role in the book. Overall it was a good film in my opinion, but it was drastically different from the books.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think movies should be left in their original country version (dubbing included). I hate it when america screws with good films (The girl with the dragon tattoo, let the right one in, the ring, etc.)
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In only saw the US movie version so have nothing to compare it to. I LOVED this movie and am anxiously awaiting the next two :happy:
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I liked all of them- my preference is for the Swedish version since Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist nailed Lisbeth and Mikael, respectively. However, the US version more closely follows the book ending where as the Swedish version gives it short shrift- something that is a pet peeve of mine when a film wholesale junks a large section of a book that goes to character development (especially in a trilogy)

So pros and cons to both
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've read all 3 books.
    Have yet to see any of the movies and I doubt it will.
    Movies never, ever compare to the books and I'm always left disappointed.

Same here! I'm always disappointed when watching a movie after reading the book, and then become the annoying person in the theater saying, "They skipped so much!! Why did they skip that part!?" So, it's best I just don't see the movie, or Red Box it so I don't feel bad if I hate it, since I only spent a dollar hahah.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I loved it!!!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Read all three. Saw the first two movies (swedish version). I liked the books and the movies. Don't need to waste my money on the newer version.

If it hasn't been said before, Netflix has all of them.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    read and loved the books. Went to see the american version last weekend. I prepared myself.... its a Fincher film, which I like, but I was afraid here his style might make this too hard to watch. And I was right. I enjoyed parts of it but overall I was disappointed. Sounds like I need to look into the Swedish version though.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm half-way through the first book and I'm loving it so far! I think I'll watch the Swedish version of the film after I've finished the book. I'm also the annoying person at the cinema :)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have read all 3 books and have seen the Swedish movies. I though the movies were as close as it can get to the book. I usually dislike american interpretations and I have heard this will not live up to expectations.

A good example is La Femme Nakita vs Point of No Return.