Intimidated at the gym?

Options
Well, i recently started lifting weights. Heavy (for me). When I do squats with a bar I have to go to the "male" weights area. I am the only woman in there. I have never seen another woman even walking close to it. I'm doing 55kg weights at the moment, and that wouldnt be safe for me in any other area. But I feel very intimidated when I'm in there, all the guys look at me like 'wtf?' I'm 5' tall and I look out of place, big time... Now, should I feel awkward or not? Does anyone else feel like this at the gym?

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that isn't in your head? Think about how much thought you give to what other people in the gym are doing. None, right? People are only paying attention to themselves. I seriously doubt these men think you don't belong there.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your totally not alone... I don't do free weights because I haven't gathered up the courage to feel "in place" in the free weight area of my gym... So I'm starting off with a routine based on the machines. I am also starting a class at my gym so I can get to know the exercises and free weights before I hit the pit. lol it might sound ridiculous.. But I'm working my courage up to getting into the free weight area of my gym. Maybe I'll hire a trainer or someone to help get me in there!! When I'm ready... lol.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    I can relate to that, think of it as they cant be working hard enough if they have time to be stood staring at you. you do your thing and think eff them :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You are still new. After a while you will be "old news". Be confident in your self and know you have paid for the right to use the equipment, like everyone else.
  • Lydia_B
    Lydia_B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing a class with weights instead.. does your gym do body pump? At my gym it's quite the mix of women to men in those classes and everyones that busy concentrating that they are not looking at anyone else :-)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm probably just imagining it... Trying my hardest not to be put off and stop going there *sigh*
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting at the gym as well - and yes it does feel a little intimidating.
    Its good that I train with a guy so I don't look like i'm on my own.

I didnt want to start classes because I was new and a little aprehensive, but I did it and dont give it a 2nd look now!

KatKins3 is right though - soon you will be old news!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    It's been my experience that nobody really cares what other people are doing unless they are trying to compete with them. When I belonged to a gym, I was intimidated about lifting weights and using the machines with the dudes at first too. I got a few sessions from a personal trainer to make sure that my form on all of the machines and exercises was correct.

I soon realized that because I wasn't 1) a competitor with the guys (not saying they're trying to work against each other but I do think that they use each other to gauge their own gym performance, which can be great motivation) OR 2) a lady who showed a lot of skin in the gym, they paid absolutely no attention to me.

Go do your thing and try not to worry. I understand where you're coming from, though.
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Be proud! You're doing something that not other girls do (because you wrote you hadn't seen another woman at that area of the gym before) and that's probably very impressing to the ones there. Weight training is awesome, not enough women do it because they think they will look like a giant monster muscle creature, or simply because they're scared. Scared of going to the area where the free weights and all that is, because there aren't any other women there (it's been like that at most of the gyms I've trained at).
    Be proud, because you rock! :)
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There are lots of women that lift weights at my gym and they too have to come out of the women only area to do so. I used to feel intimidated as a fat guy trying to lift weights surrounded by a bunch of body builders. But I just put my headphones on and focus on my workout and people seem to mind their own business.