Alternative to Dairy Milk

Options
I've recently started using Unsweetened Almond Milk in my morning coffees and I am not loving it to be honest. The taste isn't so bad, but the smell really bothers me. Plus the fact that it's so low in protein is a negative for me also.
What are some good alternatives to dairy milk that have a decent amount of protein per serving are low in sugar and calories and aren't full of additives? I love cows milk and am not cutting it out of my diet, but I enjoy a latte in the morning and I'm trying to cut the calories & sugar of that so I'm able to eat an actual breakfast while still being within my calorie goals for the day.

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about sugar, but I love Tempt Living Harvest Hemp Milk. They have it in original, vanilla and I believe chocolate. It's 100 calories per cup. It doesn't smell bad and has a creamy nutty taste. It is slightly expensive, but I can't drink cows milk and I'm not a fan of the other alternative milks out there.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Soy?
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I LOVE Silk Coconut milk. I tried the almond and it was disgusting!! I even tried vanilla and it was just as gross. So, I was glad when I found coconut milk!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I use almond because it doesnt make me clear rooms!
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love vanilla soy milk. Not sure off the top of my head how much sugar mine has. I use the Kirkland organic (Costco brand). But there are a lot of different brands since it's pretty popular so you can try a few and see what has the stats you're looking for and what you like.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Silk Coconut milk. I tried the almond and it was disgusting!! I even tried vanilla and it was just as gross. So, I was glad when I found coconut milk!

I agree with this. I hate almond milk. Based on states Silk coconut milk seems to be best. 80 cals a cup with 45 calcium.

tastes awesome in coffee by the way =] like a coconut mocha
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the sweetened or vanilla almond milk?
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Rice Milk (Rice Dream) :)
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Have you tried coconut milk? It is low in calories. The only thing is I think it is low in protein as well. However, I would think that would be the easiest to remedy another way. I have only tried chocolate so far which was yummy.

I have done many alternate milks over the years and it is one of those things that takes time to adjust and get used to whatever. I used to make my own soy milk at home. That was very fresh and better than store bought with no additives but I decided to have less soy in my diet.
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So Delicious Coconut milk is awesome. I use the unsweetened in my smoothies, and the vanilla for my cereal. I like it better than almond milk. And avoid all soy products since i have hypothyroidism. So delicious also has a coffee creamer they make, but i haven't tried it out.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened soy milk if you can find it.
    I think Soy Dream's Enriched Soymilk was a good option for me when I'm not drinking almond. (Unsweetened almond is my favorite) Anyway, the Soy Dream brand was light on the cals, good on protein and fortified with some B vitamins and other good things, and tasted better than other soy milks I've had. Give it a shot. :)
  • empresslove13
    empresslove13 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah I cant have dairy or soy! You can also try another brand of Almond milk if you dont like the other suggestions. I have found that some brand's are better than others! good luck and if you can have soy SILK hazlenut creamer is absolutely dreamy!
  • Savytryfle
    Options
    have you tried rice milk? that's my faaaaaavorite, although I don't get it that often. I mostly get almond milk, vanilla for putting in cereal and coffee and dark chocolate for drinking plain. I don't like any of the unflavored ones at all.
  • rach06ao
    rach06ao Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rice Milk compared to Soya is alot better.
    However I find Vegan alternatives do not taste nice in coffee!

Rice milk is really nice in cereal.
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    I use almond because it doesnt make me clear rooms!

BAHAHAHA:laugh:
    i do enjoy silk almond 35 calories. i even got my hubby and daughter drinking it!!!
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    For protein, there really isn't a good alternative except soy. All the others, (rice, almond coconut) are pretty weak.
    My boys and I are all dairy free. We drink almond or coconut milk at home; they drink rice or soy at school & daycare since they can't have nuts there.

For mixing with coffee, coconut milk is pretty creamy and tastes good, only mildly like coconut. Even my husband would put it on his cereal. (Grudgingly, though, since he's a dairy man.)
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk (I also like almond milk though.) If it is a lactose intolerance, goat milk doesnt have the same effect on me.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Try the sweetened or vanilla almond milk. It adds additional flavor that is really good but does not add calories. I drink Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and its only 35 calories per 8 ounces (which is lower than Silk products)